Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I get IP address information when I only have MAC address info?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by otacon122 View Post
    I randomize my mac address for security purposes - I am a very shy guy, and I prefer being alone, so I do whatever I can to stay hidden from the outside world unless I need to be in public for some odd reason.
    So you choose to wardrive in public? Seems kind of odd for someone that doesn't want to leave the house unless they have an odd reason.

My network at home runs WPA2 with MAC address filtering,
    MAC filtering provides absolutely no security whatsoever.

and I have the DMZ host running AirSnarf and AirPwn to throw out fake access points to confuse wardrivers while the real access point has its SSID broadcast disabled.
    Kismet doesn't care if your SSID is hidden, it will see it anyway, so hiding it from 'wardrivers' isn't doing much. Also it seems odd that you want to map out everyone else's networks, but choose to hide your own.

I also have the wireless router set to not respond to ping commands.
    Yep, that's some security for ya. No one could ever find something if it didn't respond to a ping.

On the network itself, my workstations run drivers for plug-and-play hard drives that I secure physically whenever I am away from my computer; I use biometrics for authentication;
    Biometrics? You do realize that just about every single fingerprint scanner out there is easily compromised? If someone really wants to get into it, they will.

and I have all the computers set to lock the account when the screensaver activates. Put in layman's terms - Paranoia-based security, even when I am wardriving I use this level of security.
    I wouldn't consider your security measures 'laymans terms', I would consider them lame terms. It sounds as though you read some magazine articles about security and decided to adopt them without actually doing any research first to find if they were actually practical or made sense.

Now, to answer your question about wardriving, I define wardriving as a means to map out all the available wi-fi hotspots in a given geographical area without having to go from building to building.
    So why again if you're using Kismet would you need to spoof your MAC? That part still makes no sense whatsoever. You do realize that there isn't some international registry of MAC addresses that shows who owns what? So if your MAC were to appear on someone's logs while really wardriving there isn't anyway for it to be traced back to you?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I randomize my mac address for security purposes - I am a very shy guy, and I prefer being alone, so I do whatever I can to stay hidden from the outside world unless I need to be in public for some odd reason. My network at home runs WPA2 with MAC address filtering, and I have the DMZ host running AirSnarf and AirPwn to throw out fake access points to confuse wardrivers while the real access point has its SSID broadcast disabled. I also have the wireless router set to not respond to ping commands. On the network itself, my workstations run drivers for plug-and-play hard drives that I secure physically whenever I am away from my computer; I use biometrics for authentication; and I have all the computers set to lock the account when the screensaver activates. Put in layman's terms - Paranoia-based security, even when I am wardriving I use this level of security.
    Here you go, I think you probably already have it matted and framed on your wall, but just in case.

Now, to answer your question about wardriving, I define wardriving as a means to map out all the available wi-fi hotspots in a given geographical area without having to go from building to building.
    How do you actually accomplish this without, you know, driving around?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Hey Barry, I've found it's just easier to wrap my laptop and Access points in foil.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Ok I have made the hat now what? Is this supposed to help me recieve stronger 2.4ghz signals?
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Ok I have made the hat now what? Is this supposed to help me recieve stronger 2.4ghz signals?
    No, for that you need a microwave oven with the door switch disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Hey Barry, I've found it's just easier to wrap my laptop and Access points in foil.
    That's what I've been doing wrong!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Wow I am wearing the hat, I have a 2000 w microwave running at full power and im seeing wifi in California, this wouldnt usually be strange but considering im in London this has got to be the best technique EVER. P.S thank you so much for this.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Wow I am wearing the hat, I have a 2000 w microwave running at full power and im seeing wifi in California, this wouldnt usually be strange but considering im in London this has got to be the best technique EVER. P.S thank you so much for this.
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Just burned his ISO freebsd_man's Avatar

i lol'd irl

Quote Originally Posted by freebsd_man View Post
    i lol'd irl
    You what???

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You what???
    I think one of Xor's lolcatz got to the keyboard.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast