Thread: How do I get IP address information when I only have MAC address info?

Hybrid View

otacon122

Default How do I get IP address information when I only have MAC address info?

Whenever I go out wardriving, the very first things I do are use MAC Changer to randomize my MAC address and the manufacturer then I fire up KISMET to look for available networks. Kismet only displays the network SSID and the associated MAC address, but not the IP address. How do I get the target's IP address using the information Kismet provides?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by otacon122 View Post
    Whenever I go out wardriving, the very first things I do are use MAC Changer to randomize my MAC address and the manufacturer then I fire up KISMET to look for available networks. Kismet only displays the network SSID and the associated MAC address, but not the IP address. How do I get the target's IP address using the information Kismet provides?
    Wardriving? Buh-bye.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Wardriving? Buh-bye.
    What's wrong with wardriving? There's nothing illegal behind the origin thought of wardriving.

As pureh@te states correct , the idea is to map access points , but has nothing to do with ip addresses.

But what the OP asks for , has nothing to do with wardriving
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    What's wrong with wardriving? There's nothing illegal behind the origin thought of wardriving.

As pureh@te states correct , the idea is to map access points , but has nothing to do with ip addresses.

I think you just mis-understood streakers post. He knows all about wardriving, in fact he is the creator of war buggying as I understand it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post

pureh@te is right. I just needed to add some more characters, because my original post of 'buh-bye' was too short.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

otacon122

My reason for needing IP addresses from MAC address info is because I have a bunch of neighbors with WEP-encrypted routers and I was going to do a proof-of-concept hack attack (with their permission of course) to show them how to secure their networks.

Developer

My reason for needing IP addresses from MAC address info is because I have a bunch of neighbors with WEP-encrypted routers and I was going to do a proof-of-concept hack attack (with their permission of course) to show them how to secure their networks.
    Sure! right! We REALLY believe you. And your going to do this good service for what reason? Anyway your post just shows how little you reall know about wep attacks because IP addy's have nothing to do with it.

pureh@te is right. I just needed to add some more characters, because my original post of 'buh-bye' was too short.
    Puh, great! In fact i would have been disappointed if you didn't know
    Sry for misunderstanding.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

I think I misunderstood streaker69's post.. What exactly did it mean?
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

Developer

Now I'm no expert and I don't do much war driving but I always thought it was to map access points so I am a little unclear what IP address's have to do with anything at all. Maybe you could explain your end goal a little better in order for us to help you.