Thread: Fatal error occured - BT3 data not found

Just burned his ISO

Default Fatal error occured - BT3 data not found

Well, I got a hp G60 laptop and I am getting this error:

Fatal error occured - BT3 data not found
    You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA).
    Workaround: Copy the directory BT3 from your boot device to an IDE/SATA
    dist, eg. to /mnt/hda1/BT3 or C:\BT3. Then try to boot again.

I'm not getting this error with my desktop comp so it's not reallly inside the cd i guess. What's wrong with it ?

I've tried to copy in C:\ and it still didnt work after that so I really don't know what to do

Thanks for helping me !

It would help if you explained how you're trying to boot BT3 (CD or USB?), what file(s) you have used and just a step-by-step from downloading to the point where it fails

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ninjarobot View Post
    It would help if you explained how you're trying to boot BT3 (CD or USB?)
    to be fair to the guy he did... no need to be hostile/ treat him like an idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Caverax View Post
    I'm not getting this error with my desktop comp so it's not reallly inside the cd
    but realistically you are going to need to tell everyone more information if you want some help

Just burned his ISO

I've found the solution to this. Maybe it would be good to be added in bug fixes place. Here is what I did to fix the bug. I've kept my cd version of backtrack3 on my cd as normal, but I also downloaded the usb version. THen I put the usb version on a usb stick. When you're done, just set your boot priority as cd/dvd ROM first then usb hard drive second and then you can run it. The problem was that my sata hard drive wasn't compatible, so I just used my usb stick as the hard drive.

Now I get a new problem. I'm running on linux, but I cannot connect to internet because it says no wireless defices found. I cannot do anything about wep key searching since it doesn't find my wireless adapter. My wireless adapter is: "Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n WiFi Adapter".

It is workign just fine on windows vista.

I can guess the problem is that I do not have the drivers in linux, but I really am starting at linux( started yesturday) and I don't know where to download these linux drivers, if the drivers would **** up with my windows vista drivers, I don't know how to install these drivers since I don't even know if we can use USB stick on linux. Could you guys refer me to a site giving me the appropriate drivers and actually explain me how to install them on linux?

Thanks for your help,
    Caverax

That is very strange.

Im going to assume that you mean that you can boot BackTrack on your desktop computer with the same CD that fails on your (laptop?)

I can only think of a few things that would cause this kind of error.

1. your hardware is very, very, (and I mean very) old and doesnt support booting from a CD

2. Your CD rom drivers/firmware are screwy and need to be updated. It sounds wierd I know but this is fairly common and can cause all sorts of crazy errors.

If I assumed incorrectly and you cannot boot BackTrack on your desktop, then it is almost certainly a corrupt download/disk-write error. Re download backtrack and check the MD5 (google MD5 checksum) then set your burning software to the slowest possible rate and try again.
    Morpheus: "You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."

Neo: "What if I take both?"

Morpheus: "Don't do that! You end up like Nick Nolte!"

Just burned his ISO

read replies Revelati and see waht I said in my reply Btw I bought my laptop less than a week ago xD

Just burned his ISO

Double posted. Sorry

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Caverax View Post
    Well, I got a hp G60 laptop and I am getting this error:

Fatal error occured - BT3 data not found
    You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA).
    Workaround: Copy the directory BT3 from your boot device to an IDE/SATA
    dist, eg. to /mnt/hda1/BT3 or C:\BT3. Then try to boot again.

I'm not getting this error with my desktop comp so it's not reallly inside the cd i guess. What's wrong with it ?

I've tried to copy in C:\ and it still didnt work after that so I really don't know what to do

Thanks for helping me !
    I have the same laptop and I get the same error the laptop is new. It's a HP G60-125NR and the full specs can be found at hp's site since. (You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more. So I can't link to it) The error happens when using the livecd and no matter which way one tries to boot the cd the result is the same error.

I see that Caverax was able to boot it by using both the livecd AND the usb version so I'll try that this weekend I'm busy moving this week and have a slow connection here.

I am on linux and have wifi working on the laptop using ath9k and kernel 2.6.27-7 and the atheros ar5009 is the AR928x and from what I've been reading it can also use the driver for the ar5007 which would be the AR242 I think it is off the top of my head, which would possibly be better to use but I'm not really sure though. Perhaps someone can shed some light on that while we're at it.

Here are the relevant results from my lshw -C network
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Ethernet
    vendor: nVidia Corporation
    physical id: a
    bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: a2
    serial: wh:yn:ee:dt:hi:s?
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 66MHz
    capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.61 latency=0 link=no maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 module=forcedeth multicast=yes port=MII
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
    logical name: wmaster0
    version: 01
    serial: wh:yn:ee:dt:hi:s?
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k ip=192.168.17.124 latency=0 module=ath9k multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn

Anyways, This is not my first time trying to use/install BT3 unsuccessfully. I tried with a Sony Vaio laptop about a month ago which I have since given away to my brother.

The livecd's md5sum checked out fine and the burn was at the slowest speed possible also the disc was verified when burned so I seriously doubt we both had bad burns that resulted in the same error.

Any ideas? And thanks in advance.

EDIT: Kernel # was a typo, hope this doesn't appear as a double post since I have to wait for approval before it gets posted...1st post