Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Running Backtrack 3

Just burned his ISO

Default Help Running Backtrack 3

Im having problems booting Backtrack 3 off the CD. i have checked the md5 and its good but when i boot the cd it freezes at "Looking for data directory". i read somewhere that it has something to do with backtrack not being compatible with SATA hard drives, which i have. I have no other hard drives that i could connect instead as some people have suggested. is there another way i could get Backtrack to work with my hard drive like drivers or something? Help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS: i am a complete noob when it comes to Linux, so i would be thankful if you explain throughly, thanks again.
    PPS: i did try searching an i didn't find much that helped me.

did you try booting off a usb stick?

Developer

Backtrack supports sata just fine.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the quick responses. No i haven't try booting from a usb stick, i will give that a go. Maybe i read the SATA thing from a previous Backtrack, i don't know.

Just burned his ISO

OK, I have tried the USB version and it gets past the original problem but there is a new one now. After i login i type startx to start the KDE and it doesn't work and produces an error. Anyone else had the same problem? Thanks again for all the help.

What is the error?
    Did you search the forum for you video card?
    Did you try booting into VESA mode?

Just burned his ISO

Thanks marked, VESA mode worked but yet again another problem has arose. Kismet won't start. it says i need to define some thing to do with packets in the kismet.conf file, seen it before? i have found the file but i don't know what to do, sorry im no good with linux. You help is very much appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry, i double posted the same message and i don't know how to delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWaddler View Post
    Thanks marked, VESA mode worked but yet again another problem has arose. Kismet won't start. it says i need to define some thing to do with packets in the kismet.conf file, seen it before? i have found the file but i don't know what to do, sorry im no good with linux. You help is very much appreciated.
    I suppose you mean configuring kismet to your wlan device.
    You have to edit the source in the kismet.conf to something like that:
    Code:
    source=ipw3945,wifi0,ipw3945
    You didn't mention what chipset your device uses , so noone can tell you the right configuration.

I really recommend you use the search function and read some manuals.
    These questions are asked hundreds of times.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

Thanks terminal86. That sounds about right. i'll try it later. Chipset, is that of my wireless card? i think its one of these BCM432b or BCM32056000. I would usually use the search function but i couldn't understand what they were talking about as i am a linux noob. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast