Thread: Upgrading BackTrack 3 Kernel

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Upgrading BackTrack 3 Kernel

Hay guys,

I'm trying to enable packet injection\monitor mode on my Intel 4965 A\G\N Laptop card, and I tried fallowing this guide airdump.net/packet-injection-wifi-intel-4965/,
    Anyway the first thing I did was to download the latest kernel (2.6.27.8), copy the original bt config from /usr/src/linux, making "menuconfig" and making sure all the necessary things are checked and building the kernel.
    at the end I override the kernel in the /boot directory (Ho: I'm using the USB Stick version of backtrack)

All went well
    but, when I boot up the OS, after "starting linux live scripts"
    it tells me "finding data directory"
    and then "wait a while"
    and On that point, I guess "a while" means FOREVER, it hangs there (though he is responsive to ALT+CTRL+DEL).

Cuple of additional things I tried:
    1. APPEND irqpoll to the kernel arguments
    2. 1+APPEND "from=/dev/sdb1/" (SHULD IT BE "bt from.." ??)
    3. 1+2+Trying the whole process again with 2.6.25.20 kernel.

Still, the same problem.
    Any tips ???

I believe what you are missing is the initrd. They are required if your usb version has all these lzm files as the kernel would be looking for such / files immediately.

The other thing is that one also needs to make sure that iwl4965 is enabled in kernel along with mac80211 or you will be running kernel without it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    I believe what you are missing is the initrd. They are required if your usb version has all these lzm files as the kernel would be looking for such / files immediately.

The other thing is that one also needs to make sure that iwl4965 is enabled in kernel along with mac80211 or you will be running kernel without it.
    The file is where it is suppose to be, I haven't changed a thing except for the kernel file, or should I change initrd to a different version

about the other thing - yeah, but that should not bother me loading the OS.

B.T.W: I followed this guide for upgrading the kernel: en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Updating_the_Linux_kernel
    ...And much thanks 4 the help

Just burned his ISO

up......,....,...

Developer

If you are trying to update the kernel on a usb and not a hard drive install its a little different. You would have to decompress all the .lzms and then build your kernel and then .lzm them all back up. Even then it will be difficult to replicate all the custom backtrack kernel patches.

Considering the rate at which hardware advances are made and the requirement for using new kernels in order to attain basic functionality for some of us (my pavilion dv5 1183cl works at only the most basic of levels without a recent kernel - no wireless, sound, problems compiling the new nvidia drivers), would it be possible for the community to start its own patchlist with diffs updated to the new kernels in order for us to maintain compatibility and take some load off the devs? Obviously new BT features with the next release will probably require new patches, but that kind of modularity would serve us all well. I still can't get my iwl5k working with injection because the drivers need all sorts of additional software to put it in monitor mode (basically the whole wireless tools stack has to be upgraded and its being a thorough pain in my posterior given my time constraints out here). *sigh* can't wait for BT4