Thread: kismet

Default kismet

I started fallowing a tutorial on wep cracking and the first thing i was supposed to do was start Kismet. It worked. I went thru a bunch of the tut and decided to start over cause I got lost. I restarted the computer and restarted kismet and i recieved this error...

FATAL: Please configure at least one packet source. Kismet will not function if no packet sources are defined in kismet.conf or on the command line

I don't understand why It would show up this time. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by chief30 View Post
    I started fallowing a tutorial on wep cracking and the first thing i was supposed to do was start Kismet. It worked. I went thru a bunch of the tut and decided to start over cause I got lost. I restarted the computer and restarted kismet and i recieved this error...

FATAL: Please configure at least one packet source. Kismet will not function if no packet sources are defined in kismet.conf or on the command line

I don't understand why It would show up this time. Any ideas?
    The error is telling you exactly what you need to do.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

i understand that, but WHY would it show up this time around? what happened to make this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by chief30 View Post
    i understand that, but WHY would it show up this time around? what happened to make this happen?
    The changes probably aren't being saved.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

i'm still a little confused. and only because im a newb i hope you can guide me thru this error. please?

First of all you do not actually need to use Kismet in order to crack WEP, you can just as well keep to the aircrack-ng suite completely. The reason the error showed up this time around even though you sorted it out during the last boot, if I'm understanding you correctly, is because you are using either the live CD or USB without persistent changes. Unless you are using a real HDD installation or a USB installation with persistent changes all the configurations and additions you make will be lost once you reboot and the RAM is cleared out.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

thank you very much