Thread: BT3 on Asus 1000 40Gb SSD

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 on Asus 1000 40Gb SSD

Ok everyone, I've tried my best, and now I think I need to ask someone.

I wrestled for a few days to get it onto a HD, then a USB drive (not the easy way). I got the HD version working fine from the Live CD, then trying to install from there to USB had a few false starts. So I went from that to installing from the LiveCD to the USB drive, which worked ok most of the time.

Once I was (vaguely) happy with installing it and mucking about with lilo, I tried to put it onto the little Asus machine. This necessitated a USB install and there is no CD drive, so I then used the USB version of BT3 and made it bootable etc. (The easy way )

First a couple of Asus 1000 foibles: An initial hurdle was getting the asus to boot from USB - you could set the boot priority to a removeable device, but it would still select the SSD disk in preference. Under the Boot menu in BIOS is a menu option 'Hard disk drives' where the USB drive only shows up if plugged in. Even if you save the settings, if you turn the netbook on without the USB boot device already plugged in, the BIOS will reset this option, and you will have to go in and change it again.

Secondly, the 40Gb SSD is actually 2 SSD drives, 1 8Gb (Master) [/dev/hdc] and 1 32Gb (Slave) [/dev/hdd]- and there lies the root of my question.

I went ahead and deleted all the partitions on both SSDs, and then installed BT3 onto the 32Gb disk with 3 partitions (hdd1[boot], hdd2[swap] and hdd3[data]) - seemed to work ok - but it won't boot, it stops after POST with 'Error 22'.

The sharper amongst you will prolly have already noticed the mistake - "Why has this dummy installed BT3 onto the slave disk? It will never boot." I hope this is the answer, but how to do it, rather than beginning all over again (again! )

What I'm thinking is along the lines of this:

Boot from USB
    Make a boot partition on the Master disk and format as ext3.
    This is the wooly bit for me - how do I get the contents of /dev/hdd1 to copy over to /dev/hdc1 - is it just as simple as copying it over?
    Change lilo.conf to point at /dev/hdc1 boot partition (while still pointing at /dev/hdd3 for data)

...and would that be it?

Also, any ideas what I could do with the rest of the space on /dev/hdc? The boot partition is only 50Mb, so could make an 8Gb boot partition, but that would be a waste I reckon. Maybe could dual boot it with Windows and stick XP there?

I know it's a long post, but also didn't want to waste people's time suggesting stuff I've already tried, plus be instantly dismissed for being a complete nub :E (which might happen anyway).

Cheers All.

are you sure you followed the right tutorial? booting from usb is as simple as running bootinst.sh ...

If you're doing this to play around with linux in general, I'd install Ubuntu to the 8Gb drive. Use the other drive for storage. Now before the linux purists here start booing me, listen for a minute. Ubuntu is a pretty good first linux experience distro. Most of the apps in BackTrack are also in Ubuntu, though they may be a version to a few versions behind the current version. I run Ubuntu as my normal every day distro, but I compile the security apps. Kismet, wireshark, madwifi drivers, the airmon suite, stuff like that.

If all you're going to use this laptop for is pentesting and whatnot, then do a live install with changes on the 8Gb partition, and use the other drive to hold your dictionaries, and cap files. AFAIK the second drive doesn't boot well. I think you can also hit the esc key when you power up the laptop to get a bios boot device menu.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tonsko View Post
    Make a boot partition on the Master disk and format as ext3.
    This is the wooly bit for me - how do I get the contents of /dev/hdd1 to copy over to /dev/hdc1 - is it just as simple as copying it over?
    Change lilo.conf to point at /dev/hdc1 boot partition (while still pointing at /dev/hdd3 for data)
    dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=/dev/hdc1

However someone will have to confirm, but I think partitions have to be the exact same size before performing this, to keep files in order, as said someone will have to confirm
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

Ok Barry, you solved it. Here was me trying to be clever and swapping boot partitions etc, when you can force the hardware to boot from the second drive. I could use the second disk for an XP install I guess now!

Now I need to get on with that website testing.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=/dev/hdc1

However someone will have to confirm, but I think partitions have to be the exact same size before performing this, to keep files in order, as said someone will have to confirm
    That's great. It won't be that to make sure they are the same size though I'm sure. Many thanks!

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php Gparted live is a valuable tool add it to your collection
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php Gparted live is a valuable tool add it to your collection
    Yea, gparted rocks!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quick update:

After the tips here, I got it all working, and proceeded with the site testing (on another machine, perversely). Although I did the install the hard way (and many, many times over!), in the long run I have learned a lot more about linux than I knew. So it's all good

I now have BT3 installed on the 32Gb SSD, and Windows 7 Beta installed on the 8Gb SSD. Why this way around? Initially, it was 'just because', but now I've come up with the excuse that the 8Gb SSD is faster, and Windows 7 will benefit more from that than the extra disk space. To squeeze it onto the 8Gb chip, the downloaded iso needed to be trimmed a little with vLite, then recompiled, fits on the chip sweetly.

This is also a hack for dual boot - I say 'hack' because it's not true dual booting, really. Depending on which OS you want, go into the BIOS and swap the SSD boot priority over. Not perfect, but there's no detrimental effect I suppose, apart from a little bit of inconvenience now and then.

I will update the thread later with driver info for WLan and Ethernet cards on the 1000.