Thread: Feature suggestion for Eee Pc (pimp my eepc post)

Default Feature suggestion for Eee Pc (pimp my eepc post)

I can't seem to be able to post ANYWHERE except for here and even so I seem to be put on moderate standby but anyway -

I've seen a lot of custom mods for the Eee PC but the one that strikes me the most is the touchscreen addon mod.

Although the Eee PC is not exactly a competitor when it comes to portable device pentesting - they are immensely cheap and tend to get bundled into deals such as buying a new mobile, getting broadband etc...

NeoPwn have just released a pentesting suite for the Openmoko Neo Freerunner which is more expensive than the EeePC and the software pumps it up about another £50.

Bearing in mind that Asus are now considering in releasing touch-screen capabilites into their next gen. of eee pc's - would it be feasable to work on a BT OS that supports touch interface drivers and if so - automation scripts for all programs could allow custom modders to rip out their keyboards and touchpads and install bigger, better hadware...

Your ideas?
    Getting Airpwn to work is ruining my life

Just burned his ISO

I have seen a touchscreen on a 701. If you use google you can see a battery of mods. To my knowledge, there are already drivers for this touchscreen that you can add to the Kernel and have working with BT3. If you were to set it up with say, a USB keyboard (targus has a great flip open one that looks sweet, too) and remove the keyboard on the pc, yes you could add more, better hardware. However, there is plenty of room inside one of these EEE PCs to add whatever you want. GPS seems to be nice to have (and I will be installing a 701 in my car to have a navigation system, wifi capabilities, and it will be a head unit for my sound system).

So to answer your post, what it seems you want to do can already be done, and it has already been done.

Having used touch screen only devices with linux, using an on screen keyboard to do commands will piss you off in about 10 minutes. Which by then you'll have inputted only one or two commands. I wouldn't suggest ever removing the built in keyboard. I'm sure the touch screen idea would work as long as there are slackware drivers.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Hmmm....now all I need is a soldering gun and someone to tell me "nononononononono not that one!!!!" every few minutes.
    Getting Airpwn to work is ruining my life

Just burned his ISO

As mentioned the touchscreen mod is well documented online.

You need to do some research into the best version to get, I iniitially bought one from Fido on eBay, but the transmittance was poor so I bought one from someone else which was much better.

There are 2.6 kernel drivers available, I'm not sure if these can be added as an LZM module in Backtrack though, which would be my preference.

Removing the keyboard isn't a good idea, as stated there's adequate room on the underside of the motherboard to add more storage or other USB devices.

Everything you ever wanted in hacking an eee.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=12
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69