Thread: Schooling for Network Security Degree

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Schooling for Network Security Degree

Over the last couple of years I have developed a passion for using linux, and using security tools. This led me to decide that I wanted to pursue a career in Network Security. I am just curious if anyone knows of the best schools in the Midwest area or any of the best schools for that matter, as well as any special certifications I would be best off with. I also would possibly like to have a focus on wireless security, but the security field in general is interesting to me, but I do enjoy wireless the best. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am going to attend my first year at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, but I plan to transfer if I can find a more suitable school.

Thanks

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by rmac90 View Post
    Over the last couple of years I have developed a passion for using linux, and using security tools. This led me to decide that I wanted to pursue a career in Network Security. I am just curious if anyone knows of the best schools in the Midwest area or any of the best schools for that matter, as well as any special certifications I would be best off with. I also would possibly like to have a focus on wireless security, but the security field in general is interesting to me, but I do enjoy wireless the best. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am going to attend my first year at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, but I plan to transfer if I can find a more suitable school.

Thanks
    See
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15308
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

For other midwest options, Purdue Univ has historically had a very good Computer curriculum with an emphasis on Comp Sec. I've worked with several Purdue grads and have been impressed with all of them.

Another one to take a look at might be Baker College in Michigan. Don't know much about them, but the had a team that won the collegiate cyber defense competition last year, so they must be teaching something right ;-)

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on schools that advertise themselves as an "NSA Center of Excellence" or whatever the current terminology is. It's a bit overrated for the most part.

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    For other midwest options, Purdue Univ has historically had a very good Computer curriculum with an emphasis on Comp Sec. I've worked with several Purdue grads and have been impressed with all of them.

Another one to take a look at might be Baker College in Michigan. Don't know much about them, but the had a team that won the collegiate cyber defense competition last year, so they must be teaching something right ;-)

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on schools that advertise themselves as an "NSA Center of Excellence" or whatever the current terminology is. It's a bit overrated for the most part.
    Which Purdue campus? The WL grads are pretty good. The Calumet grads are pretty bad since university politics broke a very successful computing department into two so-so departments. Personally I would only hire a Purdue Calumet graduate if they graduated before 2002. I could go on and on about the stuff at Purdue Calumet but I am getting off topic.

I would have to agree with the statement that the NSA Center of Excellence is overrated. I graduated from DePaul with a MS in Network Security last year and the MS was not that different from my BS from Purdue. During my MS there was also very little to no touching of hardware. So a lot of theory and not much reality. Some of the students were doing a BS/MS option and said the BS courses had more reality to them, but I don't know that for a fact. So for a BS DePaul would probably be a pretty good choice. Oh and take the on campus courses. I took some courses that were Distance Learning and I feel I didn't learn as well as if I would have been in the room with the professor. I couldn't ask the professor questions during the lecture. The homework was due the same time as the oncampus class but DL students couldn't watch the recording for about 12 hours after the course finished. So if you had an assignment due in two days, the DL students only had about 32-33 hours (12 hours so the lecture could be put online and 3-4 hours to watch). I am told that most of these issues were addressed after I graduated. They supposed came out with new software allows a DL student to watch the class live and ask questions. Of course having never used it or been back since I graduated I don't know if it is true.

Just my two cents,
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

I am a DePaul alum as well.....MS in Software Engineering...and I would say it is a good choice. Their Distance Learning worked out very well for me. Between a full-time job, the kids, and the Mrs.....actually going to class was often difficult.

I think University of Advancing Technology is a good one with an actual Major in Network Security
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta