Thread: universal wireless repeater question

Hybrid View

Default universal wireless repeater question

does anyone know if it is possible to replace the omni antenna on these things with a directional grid antenna ? and if so how would i rebroadcast the signal? thanks in advance..
    You can learn more from other peoples mistakes than you can of your own

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by fido13uk View Post
    does anyone know if it is possible to replace the omni antenna on these things with a directional grid antenna ? and if so how would i rebroadcast the signal? thanks in advance..
    Care to elaborate on that? What are you trying to do?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

thx 4 the quick reply streaker well i have just purchased a belkin universal wireless repeater but i want to replace the small omni it came with for a directional grid parabolic antenna im just not sure if i can do this successfully as i dont think it would work... will i need a splitter of some sort to connect the omni as well to rebroadcast the signal?

thx 4 the quick reply streaker well i have just purchased a belkin universal wireless repeater but i want to replace the small omni it came with for a directional grid parabolic antenna im just not sure if i can do this successfully as i dont think it would work... will i need a splitter of some sort to connect the omni as well to rebroadcast the signal?
    Nope, not going to work the way you want it to.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

cant i use a splitter attach a directional antenna and omni togetha/or is there a device that i can use with both antennas?

cant i use a splitter attach a directional antenna and omni togetha/
    No, you can't. Microwaves don't work like FM.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

ok so there is no way around this i guess?

ok so there is no way around this i guess?
    Not with this hardware. Is the antenna even detachable? I've got one of their older access points that I confiscated, it's antenna isn't.

yes the antenna is detachable its an omni antenna but i'm wanting to attach a grid directional antenna for better gain i was wondering if i could maybe attach some sort of splitter that could accomadate both omni and directional.