Thread: Timing question regarding BT3 modification - would it make sense to wait for BT4b?

Question Timing question regarding BT3 modification - would it make sense to wait for BT4b?

So my BT3F HDD install has survived several laptops, multiple modifications and alterations for hardware compatibility and functionality, and i've been trying to learn how to repackage it (new kernel and all) into a live image. However, with the bt4 artwork contest up i'm wondering if there's even any point to what i'm doing? I'm having a rather complicated time with this as i'm having to piece meal it around free time out here and having to rember how i got my HDD install to the state its in (without making all the mistakes i made along the way, a feat of unimaginable complexity given my general lack of sleep).

This isn't a "when is it coming out" post - i know the answer to that, this is more of a "does it make sense to invest the bit of free time i have or should would BT4 be close enough to the horizon to wait" post .

By the way, has anyone successfully managed to upgrade and repackage 2.6.27.7 with aufs and the LZM patched squashfs? thanks

mods, if this post breaks the rules, i appologize, such was not my intent.

In my opinion it makes a lot of sense. If you get the chance on how an OS is working, use it. It's great to know, how to build a kernel and do other stuff, most people seem not to know or not to care about. But I think this makes the difference between someone who is serious about pentesting and someone who is just looking to be spoonfed and always going the way of least resistance.

Seperates the Pentesters from the Kiddies
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Yeah, that's kinda where i was coming from. Curiosity drives the insane . Been doing a lot of reading and testing - luckily with a vbox install. unfortunately i'm still having horrible issues getting the intel 5100 to inject, i've installed iw but now it seems i need to upgrade every wireless component in the OS. The whole process is giving me a new insight into the dedication and hard work of the devs, application installs can be a pain, but all the work they've done with the horrible convoluted mess of a wireless framework that's been developed for linux is astounding.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    So my BT3F HDD install has survived several laptops, multiple modifications and alterations for hardware compatibility and functionality, and i've been trying to learn how to repackage it (new kernel and all) into a live image. However, with the bt4 artwork contest up i'm wondering if there's even any point to what i'm doing? I'm having a rather complicated time with this as i'm having to piece meal it around free time out here and having to rember how i got my HDD install to the state its in (without making all the mistakes i made along the way, a feat of unimaginable complexity given my general lack of sleep).

This isn't a "when is it coming out" post - i know the answer to that, this is more of a "does it make sense to invest the bit of free time i have or should would BT4 be close enough to the horizon to wait" post .

By the way, has anyone successfully managed to upgrade and repackage 2.6.27.7 with aufs and the LZM patched squashfs? thanks

mods, if this post breaks the rules, i appologize, such was not my intent.
    Im In the EXACT same situation. why would the upgrade with the lzm patched be any harder brother?
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

seems that 2.6.27.7 doesn't like the lzma squashfs patches. i've tried the automated approach as well as the manual. it hates me

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

seems that 2.6.27.7 doesn't like the lzma squashfs patches. i've tried the automated approach as well as the manual. it hates me
    Hmm this makes me want to attempt it all the more. however there are a few things i dont want to mess up on my hd. Perhaps ill see what i can do tonight
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Developer

Backtrack has custom patches out the wazoo.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Backtrack has custom patches out the wazoo.
    concise and grim as always pureh@te, i'm wondering if your evening job includes a dark cloak a scythe .

Should i take your response to mean that i ought to wait until bt4 hits and not try to use a brand new kernel configured from default sources with my complete lack of expertise?