Thread: check dhcp recent clients..even after lease expired? time runing out

Default check dhcp recent clients..even after lease expired? time runing out

hi there, i may sound like an a$$ for asking this, but I am afraid my chances will be lost to obtain any information.

yesterday on my router i noticed a client who i was not aware of on my network. the host name was set to "iphone". i put it aside and went to to other things only to forget that the lease might run out (as it did) and i could not get any information on the unknown guest.

is there a way i can download cache from my router, and yes this is my router i have full physical access to it and know its password, and where i could look for to get info out of it

it runs on DDWRT v24mega
    linksys 600 N dual band

i have bt3 beta and bt2 final. any tools that woudl help me would be great. i jsut never had to do this so i dont know where i should look first.

help please, i dont want it to get overwritten with new data
    the command line is inevitable

correct me if im wrong, or does should this thread go under wireless?

great insight guys... no seriously over 19 views and no one knows anything or would like to point me in the right direction?

im not asking for a spoon feed, i just need to kno what type of procedure i might have to look into.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

The only info you'll get is his MAC address. You can get his MAC address using airodump. Or, it might be in the router settings as follows:

Advanced->LAN->DHCP->Active leases

Something along those lines.

You can't do anything with his MAC address by the way, you won't gain anything from knowing it.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Developer

I'm not sure if dd-wrt logs by default. You may need to turn it on. If I were you I would ssh in and check the /var/log directory. I use openwrt but it would go like this..
    purehate@pwnsauce ~$ ssh root@192.168.2.100

BusyBox v1.4.2 (2008-06-10 07:23:18 CDT) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______ ________ __
    | |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
    | - || _ | -__| || | | || _|| _|
    |_______|| __|_____|__|__||________||__| |____|
    |__| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M
    KAMIKAZE (7.09) -----------------------------------
    * 10 oz Vodka Shake well with ice and strain
    * 10 oz Triple sec mixture into 10 shot glasses.
    * 10 oz lime juice Salute!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    root@OpenWrt:~# cd /var/log
    root@OpenWrt:~/log# ls
    lastlog wtmp
    root@OpenWrt:~/log# cat lastlog

dd-wrt's logs are at http://your-router-ip/Log.asp they will also be at /var/log/ if you ssh into it. Mine logs nothing since it is only acting as an access point, my Smoothwall box logs all the dhcp stuff. I can't remember if the logs are turned on by default either, but I have mine logging everything and the logs are empty because it's not really doing any routing.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69