Thread: Got a proper Switch! What next?

Smile Got a proper Switch! What next?

Up till now i have mostly been playing with wireless (i have a old interest in radios....) but I am starting to get more interested in metasploit, ettercap and other more 'advanced' topics. I have a fairly good home network but until now i had been using a cheap 'dumb' router that broadcasts any packet just about anywhere, I'm using mostly 2nd hand equipment and SOHO stuff.

But good fortune shone on me the other day in the form of 2 x 3COM 3C16479 24 port baseline switches and now i'm wondering what to do next?

I have a 2000 machine,2 x XP machines,a 2003 server,a Vista and 2 linux boxes. plus the 2 switches and the dumb router. Does anyone have any ideas/senarios that i can try out to teach myself the difference?

I'm sure i'll figure out all the differences myself eventually, but if anyone has any senarios where it would be crystal clear to me once i had it working i'm all ears!

Thanks in advance,

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I have one of those switches here except the 16 port version.

I believe there's updated firmware on 3com's website for them. You'll want that. For optimum network performance you want to set every device you have, if it supports it, to 100MbFDX and then set each switch port to the same. If the device doesn't support it, leave it in Auto-negotiate mode.

There's a trick on those switches that the other 3com products don't do. When you get all your ports configured, you have to hit Save Configuration, or else when you power it down, everything is lost. Other 3com products save the config when you make the change, but that one only stores it. When I first got one in, I assumed the "save configuration" button downloaded a copy of the config for later upload.

They're ok managed switches, I put the one I have in the maintenance shop so if it gets destroyed, I'm not out a bunch of cash. It's currently mounted against the wall behind a book case, but it's loud as hell.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

It sure is loud, however the 10u server box i got for free to keep them in keeps the noise in....

i forgot to say i got 2 x Repotec RP-110TMC (10/100 BASE-T to 100 BASE-FX multi-mode with SC connector) and lenghs of optical cable to link them, i don't think they are practical for home use, any idea what i should do with them? couldn't even find a price for them through google/ebay. I don't want them wasting in my parts bin when someone out there may have a use for them.

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    It sure is loud, however the 10u server box i got for free to keep them in keeps the noise in....

i forgot to say i got 2 x Repotec RP-110TMC (10/100 BASE-T to 100 BASE-FX multi-mode with SC connector) and lenghs of optical cable to link them, i don't think they are practical for home use, any idea what i should do with them? couldn't even find a price for them through google/ebay. I don't want them wasting in my parts bin when someone out there may have a use for them.

TT
    I'll take them off your hands, what do you want for them?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Cool Some win 2003 spoonfeeding?!

Some help (and some spoonfeeding!) setting up a PXE boot cluster using a server 2003 machine as the master booting BT3 on the clients?

You seem to know your 2003 just as well as your linux, and i just don't have the time to mess about with my 2003 install as well as trying to learn this on the cheap! A few patient e-mails will probably manage it (i hope!).

PM me details on where to send them, i'm in the uk so to keep weight down is it ok to leave the power supplies out? They won't work in your plugs anyway

TT

TT
    Not practical! I'm saving up for fiber to the freaking desktop!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not practical! I'm saving up for fiber to the freaking desktop!
    I live next door (and i MEAN next door) to a volcano so all our phone lines are above ground on posts (not enough soil topsoil for undergrond) and cable internet is over 40 miles away so i don't even have fast internet, linking 2 PCs with these seems a bit overkill....

not that the 2 x 24 port switches arn't overkill too!

I got a simple fibre splitter 1U rack with it too, big assed fibre cable in the back and 24 single hair ones inside to ports on the front, whole setup less than 2 yrs old and it got junked due to a building change, makes you weep in a time when companies are trying to reduce costs.....

TT

Some help (and some spoonfeeding!) setting up a PXE boot cluster using a server 2003 machine as the master booting BT3 on the clients?

You seem to know your 2003 just as well as your linux, and i just don't have the time to mess about with my 2003 install as well as trying to learn this on the cheap! A few patient e-mails will probably manage it (i hope!).

PM me details on where to send them, i'm in the uk so to keep weight down is it ok to leave the power supplies out? They won't work in your plugs anyway

TT
    That's funny. I'll be happy to help you out. I'm just now building a new server in the office to run VM stuff. Once I figure it out, I'll let you know because I was just talking about PXE booting with a friend of mine.

I'll send you info for IM, that's gonna be easier to discuss the PXE booting.