Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help - Please - Important

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

<transmission restored>

...and that's it. Your administrator password is reset.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Oh well, if the instructor is there, then that makes all the difference in the world.

All you need to do is .....<transmission terminated>
    I'm just saying, if your concerns are that I have immoral or illegal kind of intentions, all I can tell you is I have complete permission to do whatever I need to do to this machine. It is a workstation with Windows Server 2003 on it, and the (local) Administrator account (which is the only account on the computer) has somehow gotten its password changed in the past two days. The last time the guy at that workstation logged out, it was the password he knew, and now it is not.

I don't see why such a sarcastic response is necessary. I'm not asking any question for the wrong reasons, I just need some help.

Edit:

In response to a few above posts, he is currently teaching a CLASS, and doesn't want to have to make some boot disk and shit later on tonight to fix it, when it is possible to do it faster.

... and I second that on ofsec 101 since this is such a tragedy for him.. haha.

Developer

I'm just saying, if your concerns are that I have immoral or illegal kind of intentions, all I can tell you is I have complete permission to do whatever I need to do this machine.
    As shocking as it may be to hear, people often misrepresent themselves on the internet.

The reason I don't believe you is I go to a IT school and the profs are perfectly capable of resting windows passwords however when it comes down to it its easier to tell a student he's screwed and needs to reinstall. We are specifically told to always back up our school data from our school hard drives in alternate locations in the event this sort of thing happens.

Furthermore you didn't even read the rules: Use sensible descriptive titles in your posts - not titles such as "Please Help!!" or "Need Assistance" or "what Am I Doing Wrong?" etc
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8808

Quote Originally Posted by purxaoc View Post
    I'm just saying, if your concerns are that I have immoral or illegal kind of intentions, all I can tell you is I have complete permission to do whatever I need to do this machine.
    Circular logic. You've proved nothing.

It is a workstation with Windows Server 2003 on it, and the (local) Administrator account (which is the only account on the computer) has somehow gotten its password changed in the past two days. The last time the guy at that workstation logged out, it was the password he knew, and now it is not.
    Find the guy who changed it and ask him.

In response to a few above posts, he is currently teaching a CLASS, and doesn't want to have to make some boot disk and shit later on tonight to fix it, when it is possible to do it faster.
    Again, circular logic proves nothing. You may be as honest as the day is long, or lying through your teeth. People here have no way of knowing, and saying that you 'have permission' means nothing to us one way or another.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    As shocking as it may be to hear, people often misrepresent themselves on the internet.
    Next you're gonna tell people that I'm not really Amish.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post

The reason I don't believe you is I go to a IT school and the profs are perfectly capable of resting windows passwords however when it comes down to it its easier to tell a student he's screwed and needs to reinstall. We are specifically told to always back up our school data from our school hard drives in alternate locations in the event this sort of thing happens.

Furthermore you didn't even read the rules: Use sensible descriptive titles in your posts - not titles such as "Please Help!!" or "Need Assistance" or "what Am I Doing Wrong?" etc
    Right now I am at a 14 day course, of "accelerated" learning sorts. The instructor here is contracted by the company he is teaching for, and has the ability to reset the password in multiple ways later on tonight. I am trying to save him the frustration of doing this himself, since right now the user that was using that workstation currently has had to migrate to another workstation that doesn't have any of our lab progress on it, ruining his experience to an extent.

With our agenda he doesn't have the time to stop the class and play with a machine, however while he is teaching I have the ability to change where I am sitting in order to help.

I have nothing to hide from you, and I understand your concerns. Also, believe it or not, misrepresentation on the internet isn't something I haven't heard before. I don't know what you want me to tell you, I just need help...

Hell - I even posted this in the Newbie Section I was embarrassed enough..

Developer

If I were you I would raise my hand and ask if you can be accelerated to whatever day resetting windows passwords falls on.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Find the guy who changed it and ask him.
    To our knowledge somebody was telnetting into his machine and changed his password without him knowing. As I said, he hasn't had to enter his password until now. This class has shrunk because some students were only here for so long, and nobody left over is admitting to changing it.

If you guys can't give me even a small answer, I'll stop bothering you. I guess I just thought there would be a little more interest in helping one another here.

Sorry to waste your time.

Developer

Next you're gonna tell people that I'm not really Amish.
    WTF!!!! Your not Amish

small answer= Google

To our knowledge somebody was telnetting into his machine and changed his password without him knowing. As I said, he hasn't had to enter his password until now. This class has shrunk because some students were only here for so long, and nobody left over is admitting to changing it.

If you guys can't give me even a small answer, I'll stop bothering you. I guess I just thought there would be a little more interest in helping one another here.

Sorry to waste your time.
    So you guys are sitting there in class for 8 straight hours without a single break?

Wow, you guys must have bladders and bowels of steel.

Umm, how about you get the instructor to change it over lunch, a competent instructor should be able to do it quickly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast