Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: CAT5/5e/6 Cable Performance

Fx_Zero

well it's from my experience

when you get like cable internet and the cable guy were to run it not to the box but to the poll you get faster connection and they don't filter it,

if you have time Warner Cable your default wire that come with your cable Modem for turbo is cat 3

if you have att dsl your dsl Modem comes with a cat 5. by default.
    and we're talking about fiber optic
    cat 6 is running on 500 MHz Data Only
    Cat 5 is running on 400 MHz voice and data

i can tell you that i do see a difference cause i have it and and i did wanted to make my connection a lot faster and this was like a couple of years ago, and it still dose the job for me, i do a lot of torrent and mutimedia, i use to do a lot of gaming and my ping was less then 100 most of the time it was close to 15

your cat 6 is basically going to connect to your router, or your computer what however you configure it

you need proof and explanation

youtube dot com /watch?v=9GyIW4YudME
    youtube dot com /watch?v=cpaYFWHfoSs

look I'm not the best at explaining things streaker69, i am more of a hands on guy. and kinda up front about it. i just learn as i go.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Fx_Zero View Post
    well it's from my experience
    Your experience is suspect.

when you get like cable internet and the cable guy were to run it not to the box but to the poll you get faster connection and they don't filter it,
    Don't know about how they do it in LA, but the cable companies I've worked with don't run CAT anything from the pole to the house. They run Coaxial directly to the cable modem and from there CAT cable is connected to customer equipment

if you have time Warner Cable your default wire that come with your cable Modem for turbo is cat 3
    As a rule, I generally do not use cables supplied by vendors. I make my own, but I have yet to see one supplied as a CAT5 cable be CAT3.

if you have att dsl your dsl Modem comes with a cat 5. by default.
    and we're talking about fiber optic
    cat 6 is running on 500 MHz Data Only
    Cat 5 is running on 400 MHz voice and data
    You obviously didn't undertsand. There is no electrical reason why voice, an analog signal, cannot be run over CAT6. The speed's you're talking about is the maximum transmission rate, analog signals are not affected by such things and could be transmitted just fine over them.

i can tell you that i do see a difference cause i have it and and i did wanted to make my connection a lot faster and this was like a couple of years ago, and it still dose the job for me, i do a lot of torrent and mutimedia, i use to do a lot of gaming and my ping was less then 100 most of the time it was close to 15
    Ping rates are rather meaningless.

your cat 6 is basically going to connect to your router, or your computer what however you configure it

you need proof and explanation

youtube dot com /watch?v=9GyIW4YudME
    youtube dot com /watch?v=cpaYFWHfoSs

look I'm not the best at explaining things streaker69, i am more of a hands on guy. and kinda up front about it. i just learn as i go.
    You obviously didn't even really to bother and read this thread from the beginning as had you, you'd have know that this has nothing to do with connection speeds from an ISP. The OP was talking about testing a connection directly between localized equipment. If you're using auto-negotiated equipment, it doesn't matter what kind of cable you're using, you will NEVER get the maximum transfer rate out of it. For that, you'd need to get managed equipment and properly set speed and duplex.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Don't know about how they do it in LA, but the cable companies I've worked with don't run CAT anything from the pole to the house. They run Coaxial directly to the cable modem and from there CAT cable is connected to customer equipment

As a rule, I generally do not use cables supplied by vendors. I make my own, but I have yet to see one supplied as a CAT5 cable be CAT3.

You obviously didn't undertsand. There is no electrical reason why voice, an analog signal, cannot be run over CAT6. The speed's you're talking about is the maximum transmission rate, analog signals are not affected by such things and could be transmitted just fine over them.

You obviously didn't even really to bother and read this thread from the beginning as had you, you'd have know that this has nothing to do with connection speeds from an ISP. The OP was talking about testing a connection directly between localized equipment. If you're using auto-negotiated equipment, it doesn't matter what kind of cable you're using, you will NEVER get the maximum transfer rate out of it. For that, you'd need to get managed equipment and properly set speed and duplex.
    It's no use brother, look at the other thread he just created....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Fx_Zero

steaker69 i've read not a whole lot, i can agree with you, i just don't know what's a coaxial cable and never knew the name of it. until i just looked it up. i just assume it's just a cable wire but thank for the correction.

in la you can pay the cable guy to hook up free cable etc. until you get cought.

i did had at one time the cable guy ran the coaxial cable from the poll to my house cause he could not get acuss to the swtich box cuase the apartment manger wasn't home. and it's was my house was close to the poll. and he had to do it cause there wasn't much choice and this was like 3 years ago,

thanks steaker69 i learn something new every day

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Just burned his ISO

Streaker69
    You mentioned staying a minimum of 3 feet away from a flouresent light fixture. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but the ballast being in one end of the fixture, 2 feet away from the tube in the oposite end a little iffy?
    Also running parallel with a powered circuit for 10 to 12 inches?
    If this is all to iffy, would aluminum grounded flex conduit remedy the problem. Presently using plastic conduit. Haven't closed up the walls yet or pulled cable.

The last post date I see is in 2008, have all you guys died off on me?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345