Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CAT5/5e/6 Cable Performance

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I can think of several things that I do every single day that I know for a fact that Linux cannot do, as there is either no program that linux does it, or someone started it and like so many other projects that were done under linux, no one ever finished it.
    The only thing that MSWindows had over Linux was the software I used for designing electronic circuit boards. However I have since discovered a Linux program called Eagle and I've been told it's better than the MSWindows program I used so I'm gonna give it a go.

When you first joined up here, you made it very clear how much you hated Microsoft, right off the bat. Well good for you, you found Linux, but that doesn't discount that Microsoft is here, and they're pretty much here to stay.
    Oh I really doubt that. Vista is what pushed me over the edge. I was quite happy with XP, but I realised that I couldn't remain with that OS forever because it would eventually become outdated, so I figured I should switch to Linux sooner rather than later. Admittedly the switch hasn't paid off quite yet because I had such extensive knowledge of MSWindows, but I'm sure in a few months I'll be laughing.

They do not have a monopoly, they happen to have a large market share which under current laws they're allowed to have and there are alternatives that people can use. Hey, you're using Linux, Microsoft goons haven't shown up at your door and forced you to install one of their OS's.
    Weren't Microsoft convicted in a court of law of having a monopoly?

I could say I'm sorry for being less than polite, but I feel it's just as impolite on your part to continually disparage a product that many of us depend upon, not only for our jobs, but for many things that make everyone lives better, since I happen to work in an industry that if we didn't have Windows, you'd be literally Shit outta luck.
    Honestly, I thought we were all Linux people here. I didn't think there'd be a single person on this forum that would be offended if I berrated MSWindows.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Honestly, I thought we were all Linux people here. I didn't think there'd be a single person on this forum that would be offended if I berrated MSWindows.
    Most of us here are linux people, and windows people, and mac people. Hell, there might be a few os2 people here as well.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    The only thing that MSWindows had over Linux was the software I used for designing electronic circuit boards. However I have since discovered a Linux program called Eagle and I've been told it's better than the MSWindows program I used so I'm gonna give it a go.
    I have looked and haven't found a single linux program that can program AB or Modicon PLC's. Those are Windows based programs only. The SCADA/HMI packages that are available on Linux are lame and I wouldn't trust them to turn on a lightbulb let alone run my plant.

Oh I really doubt that. Vista is what pushed me over the edge. I was quite happy with XP, but I realised that I couldn't remain with that OS forever because it would eventually become outdated, so I figured I should switch to Linux sooner rather than later. Admittedly the switch hasn't paid off quite yet because I had such extensive knowledge of MSWindows, but I'm sure in a few months I'll be laughing.
    I'm sure that Linux has never had any issues the same way Vista has <sarcasm>. I seem to recall many early incarnations of Xwindows having all kinds of problems. It sounds to me as though you possibly worked for a place that was an early adopter. Which is never a good practice in the business world. I have nothing but XP, and I can still buy XP on brand new machines, and I will be able to for quite sometime.

Weren't Microsoft convicted in a court of law of having a monopoly?
    You mean in the EU, which happens to despise capitalism? I don't think anything happened to them in the US.

You're wrong. Many of us are experienced enough to know that each OS has it's uses. Personally, I don't like Vista either, and I won't buy it for my network here at least until it's a couple service packs down the road, and I can ensure that my applications will run on it.

As I said before each one has it's strengths and usefulness.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

So about that cat6 cable......

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Yeah, how about that CAT6.

I think Virchenza and I have come to an understanding.

OP (I can't recall who asked)

If you have managed switches here's your test:

Configure the port your PC is plugged into to 100MbFDX and configure your PC to the same. Attempt to transfer a 600MB file between a machine that's configured in a similar manner. If it takes more than 3 minutes to complete the transfer then you have an cabling issue.

Gigabyte settings are set for Auto-negotiation only and I'm not sure if it works the same way as 100Mb or not.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh28 View Post
    did you make sure that the cat6 cables were fully plugged in?
    A good cable-jiggle usually solves all my problems, but unfortunately not in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    ...and back to the CAT6 cable: putting my experience aside, has anyone upgraded their CAT5 to CAT6 cables and noticed an improvement in thruput? (assuming all NICs and switchs are 1000BaseT) I'll order some new cables (I need more anyway) and see what happens next. I used to like Belkin, but I'm a little wary now. How's APC for cables? Thhere's also some "no-name" cables available, is there a big quality difference between brand name and non-brand name cables? I guess brand names are QC-ed better? ...well, except those bum Belkin cables I got, but I guess "friday Afternoon" cables happen sometimes
    The link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill...

Quote Originally Posted by radioraiders View Post
    A good cable-jiggle usually solves all my problems, but unfortunately not in this case...

...and back to the CAT6 cable: putting my experience aside, has anyone upgraded their CAT5 to CAT6 cables and noticed an improvement in thruput? (assuming all NICs and switchs are 1000BaseT) I'll order some new cables (I need more anyway) and see what happens next. I used to like Belkin, but I'm a little wary now. How's APC for cables? Thhere's also some "no-name" cables available, is there a big quality difference between brand name and non-brand name cables? I guess brand names are QC-ed better? ...well, except those bum Belkin cables I got, but I guess "friday Afternoon" cables happen sometimes
    I normally make all my own cables and I've never noticed what you're seeing in throughput. Maybe you just got a dodgy set. It's hard to say without testing it with something like a T-Bird or such. I will say that you probably don't need to worry about STP though, that would be a waste of money and time.

Quote Originally Posted by radioraiders View Post
    Has anyone upgraded their CAT5 to CAT6 cables and noticed an improvement in thruput?
    Over a distance less than 100 metres, the only way you'd get an increase in throughput is if you got less errors, and therefore got less retransmissions. But because you're on a LAN, where there should be only one dodgy packet per month, there shouldn't be any errors anyway.

My guess is still that the CAT6 cable is causing errors, I'd be very interested to see statistics on the errors.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Good friend of the forums

I think streker69 was correct with
    Auto-negotiation
    if you have 1g line and its on half-duplex it slows down to 200mb

streker69 whats your fluke test result with your home made cables

Quote Originally Posted by compaq View Post
    I think streker69 was correct with
    if you have 1g line and its on half-duplex it slows down to 200mb

streker69 whats your fluke test result with your home made cables
    But the change of cable should only affect auto-negotiation if there are errors on the line!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast