Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CAT5/5e/6 Cable Performance

Quote Originally Posted by radioraiders View Post
    I don't remember the cables coming with any instructions, I assumed ethernet cables were "plug-and-play"...but maybe not so simple afterall?
    Simple enough if it's Switch<-patch-cable->PC. If you're using it on a desk top with the PCs and switch right there, it may in fact be a defective patch cable.

Not so simple if it's installed as premise wiring. If it's installed in the walls, terminated in a patch panel at one end, and a wall jack at the other, then improper installation can be a real problem.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Let me correct you , because that is wrong.
    He knows MSWindows stuff, everybody point
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    He knows MSWindows stuff, everybody point
    Can we attempt to keep the anti-windows crap to a minimum? Yes, we all know how much you hate it, but grow the fsck up already.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can we attempt to keep the anti-windows crap to a minimum? Yes, we all know how much you hate it, but grow the fsck up already.
    Can you please find your way to Usenet if you want to start a flame.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Good friend of the forums

I know this is going to sound lame, but did you make sure that the cat6 cables were fully plugged in? Awhile back I had a similar problem and it turned out that the cable was not fully inserted into the card. The NIC was in a PCI card slot and the card was slightly tilted so that the connector on the cat6 cable, which was shaped a little differently, was hitting the case. I opened the case, adjusted the card, fully plugged in the new cable, and everything was good.

Just an idea,
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Can you please find your way to Usenet if you want to start a flame.
    Maybe you should realize that Linux is not the end all be all of an OS. I happened to see your thread the other day where you're asking how to run Windows applications under Linux. I guess that you couldn't find a program that was just as good as the Windows version.

Every operating system has it's strengths and it's weaknesses, a good IT department has a mixture of them and chooses what to use based upon what is needed at the time.

Anyone who thinks that you can do EVERYTHING under one OS is just fooling themselves.

Yes we all know how much you hate Microsoft, but must you bring it up every single thread you post in? There's a large number of people here that make their livings off of not only supporting Microsoft based products but supporting a wide variety of other products.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Could we please stop the OS war. I'm getting tired of it even though I do engage in it sometimes as well. Streaker makes the best 2 points:

Every operating system has it's strengths and it's weaknesses, a good IT department has a mixture of them and chooses what to use based upon what is needed at the time.
    There's a large number of people here that make their livings off of not only supporting Microsoft based products but supporting a wide variety of other products.
    Meaning if microsoft went opensource or combined with a linux distro or something else shocking 1/2 the people here would be out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Could we please stop the OS war. I'm getting tired of it even though I do engage in it sometimes as well. Streaker makes the best 2 points:

Meaning if microsoft went opensource or combined with a linux distro or something else shocking 1/2 the people here would be out of a job.
    shudders.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Could we please stop the OS war.
    You might notice the three smileys in my original post that clearly show I was having a laugh. Maybe next time I'll write four smileys instead of three smileys, hopefully that will assuage the need for accusations of OS wars.

It couldn't have been clearer that I was joking, especially given that I've 15 years of MSWindows experience myself and it wuda been pretty ludicruous of me to make fun of someone else for having MSWindows knowledge. Considering this is the second time Streaker69 has impolitely asked me to stop berrating MSWindows, and considering it was blatantly obvious that I was having a laugh, I suspect he is deliberately looking to flame.

As for each OS having its strengths and weaknesses, well Microsoft had a monopoly and that's the only reason it got anywhere. I've got 15 years experience with MSWindows and I've only recently switched to Linux, and I'm at a loss to pick out any OS features in MSWindows that are superior to Linux. No joke. 15 years and I'm at a loss.

As for other OS's such as Mac and Solaris, well they're pretty good, but unfortunately they're proprietary OS's and so will never live up to Linux. I can't think of any situation in which I'd use anything other than Linux on a PC (unless I needed to use software that was only available for a particular platform).

You might notice the three smileys in my original post that clearly show I was having a laugh. Maybe next time I'll write four smileys instead of three smileys, hopefully that will assuage the need for accusations of OS wars.

It couldn't have been clearer that I was joking, especially given that I've 15 years of MSWindows experience myself and it wuda been pretty ludicruous of me to make fun of someone else for having MSWindows knowledge. Considering this is the second time Streaker69 has impolitely asked me to stop berrating MSWindows, and considering it was blatantly obvious that I was having a laugh, I suspect he is deliberately looking to flame.

As for each OS having its strengths and weaknesses, well Microsoft had a monopoly and that's the only reason it got anywhere. I've got 15 years experience with MSWindows and I've only recently switched to Linux, and I'm at a loss to pick out any OS features in MSWindows that are superior to Linux. No joke. 15 years and I'm at a loss.

As for other OS's such as Mac and Solaris, well they're pretty good, but unfortunately they're proprietary OS's and so will never live up to Linux. I can't think of any situation in which I'd use anything other than Linux on a PC (unless I needed to use software that was only available for a particular platform).
    I think your experience with Windows is suspect if you can't find anything that Windows does better than Linux. I can think of several things that I do every single day that I know for a fact that Linux cannot do, as there is either no program that linux does it, or someone started it and like so many other projects that were done under linux, no one ever finished it.

When you first joined up here, you made it very clear how much you hated Microsoft, right off the bat. Well good for you, you found Linux, but that doesn't discount that Microsoft is here, and they're pretty much here to stay.

They do not have a monopoly, they happen to have a large market share which under current laws they're allowed to have and there are alternatives that people can use. Hey, you're using Linux, Microsoft goons haven't shown up at your door and forced you to install one of their OS's.

How did MS get such a large market share? Through smart business moves and the foresight to produce a product that wasn't overprice the way Apple was producing them when the first GUI's were hitting the market.

I could say I'm sorry for being less than polite, but I feel it's just as impolite on your part to continually disparage a product that many of us depend upon, not only for our jobs, but for many things that make everyone lives better, since I happen to work in an industry that if we didn't have Windows, you'd be literally Shit outta luck.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast