Thread: Ettercap slow problems on vm.

Hybrid View

Default Ettercap slow problems on vm.

Hey guys. I'm using a virtual machine with bt3 and I have it bridged to the computer that i'm on. I use ettercap and then I see 3 hosts (router, me, and my other computer) I can sniff my own password, but then the net on both computers slows down extremly bad. I tried echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward but that doesn't help any. Got any ideas? Seems to only do that when I have it on a virtual machine.

Dell Latitude d630

And now i try it from running off the cd instead of a virtual machine and everything works fine. nothing is slowed down for my other computers. Why would a virtual machine slow everything down? is it because the computer is trying twice as hard while running 2 operating systems at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot_1kill View Post
    And now i try it from running off the cd instead of a virtual machine and everything works fine. nothing is slowed down for my other computers. Why would a virtual machine slow everything down? is it because the computer is trying twice as hard while running 2 operating systems at the same time?
    Do other programs slow down noticeably when running them in VMware, how much RAM and CPU power have you assigned to the guest OS? Naturally it will put more strain on your computer to run two operating systems simultaneously and unless your computer is up for the task you will notice a clear performance hit while running heavy programs.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.