Thread: bt3 usb problems

Just burned his ISO

Default bt3 usb problems

Hi Everyone

I need some help regarding boot, and screen resolutions for asus eee 901.

First, I would like to mention that I am very familiar with many distributions of linux and unix. So feel free to talk techie stuff. Unfortunately, it's my first encounter with slax.

The questions are:
    1. I entered the kernel added few features like ntfs rw support which doesn't appear by default. A point for the next release. I compiled with the following command:
    make && make install && make modules_install.

I did that on the usb stick. The problem is that after reboot, all these changes have gone.

How do I save these changes on the usb stick?

2. One of the attempts was after compiling I used lilo -v (thinking that the bootloader is lilo and apparently in /boot there is lilo. After boot, I got an ugly screen with Linux written and couldn't select any of the normal option like kde, flux, etc.

I also checked if there is grub.conf. Couldn't find any. So which bootloader there is in backtrack?

Usually if there is grub there is no need to copy vmlinuz, etc. It is updated automatically. Or at least that's the way it goes with gentoo. for lilo it needs to be updated by the command lilo -v.

3. If I want to update a package, how I do it. delete the old one and install the new one? or there is an update command. I would appreciate your help.

4. Resolution for asus eee 901. I tried various windows managers, various vga options (1024x600 or 80x60). None of them worked. I got splitted screen and couldn't see the command that I type. I had to press few returns to see what was the exact command and the reply.

I will install in the end backtrack on the ssd. Meanwhile, I need to backup the windows that came with the laptop.

5. The wifi card is ralink 2860. It is capable of packet injection? Which driver I need for packet injection.

Thanks for everything
    Queen

Developer

1. I entered the kernel added few features like ntfs rw support which doesn't appear by default. A point for the next release. I compiled with the following command:
    make && make install && make modules_install.

I did that on the usb stick. The problem is that after reboot, all these changes have gone.

How do I save these changes on the usb stick?
    Saving changes in one thing. It is extensively covered on the forums however this will not work with a kernel rebuild. The reason for this is because the kernel is loaded from the usb way before the changes directory is loaded. The only way to do what you want is to decompress all the .lzms and do the rebuild and then lzm2dir all the parent directories and replace the old ones on the usb. I'm also fairly certain bt3 has r/w support for ntfs with the ntfs3g program (not 100% sure on that one).

2. One of the attempts was after compiling I used lilo -v (thinking that the bootloader is lilo and apparently in /boot there is lilo. After boot, I got an ugly screen with Linux written and couldn't select any of the normal option like kde, flux, etc.

I also checked if there is grub.conf. Couldn't find any. So which bootloader there is in backtrack?

Usually if there is grub there is no need to copy vmlinuz, etc. It is updated automatically. Or at least that's the way it goes with gentoo. for lilo it needs to be updated by the command lilo -v.
    the hard drive install uses lilo as the bootloader however the usb is using a file called syslinux.cfg which I believe is grub based. Anyway when you ran lilo -v you probably messed some stuff up. You should be manually copying the bzimage anyway but that's not relevant. If your using the usb install of backtrack then there is no need to be messing with the boot loader at all.
    3. If I want to update a package, how I do it. delete the old one and install the new one? or there is an update command. I would appreciate your help.
    The package manger for slackware is called slapt-get. It is not installed by default so you will need to get it and compile it. You will also need to correct the sources file. There are quite a few tutorials on slapt -get however I recomend the thread in the bt3 beta fix it section. Towards the end of it is a link to the 4 packages you need all at once.

4. Resolution for asus eee 901. I tried various windows managers, various vga options (1024x600 or 80x60). None of them worked. I got splitted screen and couldn't see the command that I type. I had to press few returns to see what was the exact command and the reply.

I will install in the end backtrack on the ssd. Meanwhile, I need to backup the windows that came with the laptop.
    I cant help on this. I have a 701

5. The wifi card is ralink 2860. It is capable of packet injection? Which driver I need for packet injection.
    I dont think so however like I said I dont have one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Saving changes in one thing. It is extensively covered on the forums however this will not work with a kernel rebuild. The reason for this is because the kernel is loaded from the usb way before the changes directory is loaded. The only way to do what you want is to decompress all the .lzms and do the rebuild and then lzm2dir all the parent directories and replace the old ones on the usb. I'm also fairly certain bt3 has r/w support for ntfs with the ntfs3g program (not 100% sure on that one).
    This is very weird. usb is writable. It should work like any other linux distro. After compilation of the kernel, (updating lilo or no updates at all in grub) and you are good to go with a new updated kernel.

The first thing that I checked (since I want to backup on ntfs and use for backup) was grep -i ntfs /usr/src/linux/.config and found out that the rw of ntfs is not set.

I didn't use ntfs3g. Thanks for the tip. I will check this option, if it works.
    For the installation of bt3 usb on the ssd, will I have to make the same operations if I change the kernel settings?

Another weird thing I discovered now is that there is no /usr/src/linux on the cd version. What am I missing?

the hard drive install uses lilo as the bootloader however the usb is using a file called syslinux.cfg which I believe is grub based. Anyway when you ran lilo -v you probably messed some stuff up. You should be manually copying the bzimage anyway but that's not relevant. If your using the usb install of backtrack then there is no need to be messing with the boot loader at all.
    I want to use now the usb install as a medium to backup the windows. Later I will install bt3 usb on the ssd. I probably messed some things.

The package manger for slackware is called slapt-get. It is not installed by default so you will need to get it and compile it. You will also need to correct the sources file. There are quite a few tutorials on slapt -get however I recomend the thread in the bt3 beta fix it section. Towards the end of it is a link to the 4 packages you need all at once.
    I cant help on this. I have a 701
    If there is a kind soul to help me out with the resolution, I will be very grateful.

Developer

your confusing different distros. The way a slax usb w/ save chages works is that the bt3 files are on sda1 (or whatever) and need to be a fat32 file system. Then sda2 should be a ext2 or ext3 partition and will contain your save changes folder. Then you edit the syslinux.cfg to point to your changes partition. So the changes folder is loaded very late in the boot process well after the kernel has been loaded. It is possible to do a real install rather than a live one to a sd card or usb however it requires some extra lilo parameters.

If your using the cd version there are no kernel headers included due to space requirements. you can download the kernal .lzm from the wiki.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post

First, if you grep -i ntfs /usr/src/linux/.config you see that ntfs write option is disabled. 2nd, I couldn't find ntfs3g program in backtrack3. I found ntfsclone, ntfscp and others. see ls /usr/bin/ntfs* and ls /usr/sbin/ntfs*

Am I missing something?

On backtrack 2 I saw ntfs_client. I don't find it in backtrack3 as well.