Thread: BT3 Install - Vmware Workstation 5.5

Default BT3 Install - Vmware Workstation 5.5

All;

I'm trying to install BT3-final as a vm image. So far, without luck! I've looked around the forums, in the howto's and other areas (and searched) but haven't found a fix for my problem, so I post to the masses for any assistance.

I've tried using the pre-built BT3 vm image and keep getting kernel panics that root is not found. I've tried changing the boot parameters (such as BackTrack root=/dev/sda1 (and also sda2 & sda3, even hda1 and 2 and 3) without luck...still getting kernel panics.

I've tried creating a new image using the BT3 iso burn't to a cd. The CD boots up, then when I try to fdisk /dev/sda, I get the error "unable to open /dev/sda" (the only device to show up when I run df -h is aufs (the live cd vol)). Nothing shows up in dmesg either to indicate the presence of the virtual HD/disk.

I've used vm many times to create many images, I've done HD installs of BT3, and USB installs of BT3, so I'm pretty familiar with those. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong this time.

Just for clarification, I'm using VMware Workstation 5.5.9 build-126128
    on a Windows XP host system.

Again, sorry to bother the masses with this problem but I just can't find/figure out the fix.

Thanks for your time and assistance...

Default RESOLVED - BT3 Install - Vmware Workstation 5.5

Well, after fooling around all day with this without any luck, I upgraded to VM WS 6.5 and now the BT3 Image works fine.

Not exactly the fix I was looking for, but wanted to post this in case someone else has the same problem. Hopefully, it will save them 8 hours of hair pulling.

Cheers