Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSI Wind / Advent 4211 compatibility

Just burned his ISO

Default MSI Wind / Advent 4211 compatibility

Hi, I've searched the forum but cannot find any useful information regarding this - I have the Advent 4211 which is a clone of the MSI wind and I would like to be able to boot Backtrack off an SD Card.
    It boots up, but when I try and start the GUI I keep getting error messages saying it won't load. If I select the VESA option on startup it does go into the GUI, but the touchpad is non-responsive.
    Anyone else had any luck? I'm planning on using a WiFi dongle for injection as the unit uses a Realtek chipset which I assume cannot be used for injection.

Hopefully someone else has had some luck getting it going on this excellent Netbook and can share the experience!"

Thank You.

I am getting a similar issue on my Acer Aspire One I got today.
    I have not really looked into it much yet, but will be interested to read the suggestions. I am assuming its some sort of graphics driver issue.

Quote Originally Posted by WoolyWhisperer View Post
    Anyone else had any luck? I'm planning on using a WiFi dongle for injection as the unit uses a Realtek chipset which I assume cannot be used for injection.
    That will depend on the actual chipset model that it uses, several Realtek chipsets work just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by daleapearson View Post
    I am getting a similar issue on my Acer Aspire One I got today.
    I have not really looked into it much yet, but will be interested to read the suggestions. I am assuming its some sort of graphics driver issue.
    I am afraid that since both laptops are really new there is not much experience of using them with BackTrack yet. Chances are that you will have to work out a few problems on your own, or wait around until someone more experienced gets their hands on them.

In either case, best of luck, and keep posting your results/problems on the forum as your progress.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

I may be wrong but think the wifi is the Realtek RTL8187.
    Hope this helps a bit

Just burned his ISO

Default Does wifi work? (or anything else?)

Hey everyone, I've also been looking into getting one an Advent 4211 (or maybe EEPC 901/1000H) but was curious to see the compatibility before buying.

Has anyone got BT3 up and running on the Advent yet (i.e. past the graphics bug described below)? I would love to hear what people have to say on it (or any of the Netbooks in fact).

Just in case it's useful for someone, I note that the Ubuntu guys were looking to get wifi working and emailed realtek regarding the drivers (oh, the card is the newish rtl8187SE, not the uber compatible rtl8187 by the way ) and they have the source code for the driver here... should be easy to compile and see whether it works at all (but oh please let injection and monitoring work ).

Maybe it will help someone who already has one of these. The link to go for (as far as I'm aware), is the one halfway down the page, not the first (old driver) or second one (a patch), but the one issued by realtek themselves.

hXXps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-meta/+bug/246141

Look forward to seeing what comes of this new generation of netbooks Hope you are all having fun with your new computers. I'd really appreciate any impressions...

(just in case, I hear you can get the eeepc wifi card working with ndiswrapper if anyone wonders, but that means no injection/monitoring as far as I understand it...)

Oh, and as it's my first post here, I guess it's a mandatory: //Hello world

Just burned his ISO

Has anyone solved the problem with touchpad on MSI Wind?
    I was going to buy this laptop, but now i hesitate, because i want it to run Backtrack 3 properly (i don't mean wifi card).

Just burned his ISO

What issue do you mean? I have the Medion akoya mini wich is almost the same as the wind. I had a prob with my touchpad(synaptics): it didn't work. Now (after compiling a new Kernel (running on the 2.6.26) everything is just fine, including Powersave options, Battery monitoring etc. Anyway, i wasn't able yet to get touchpad improvements running. But thats a matter of time.
    I love the mini with bt3, absolute recommend

Sefi

Ok here is my update with my Advent 4211 and BT3.

TouchPad:- Works about 1 time in 5 so it can work but not sure why it doesn't everytime, so I just use a small USB wireless mouse. Not ideal but it works.

Wireless:- I have to admit that I took the easy way and changed the wireless card for an Intel 3945 which works like a charm using the ipwraw drivers.

This is booting from a 4Gig SDcard and selecting VESA KDE option(not tried an other boot options yet).

Just burned his ISO

did you try compiling a new kernel? that made my touchpad work allways..

Quote Originally Posted by SefileYa View Post
    did you try compiling a new kernel? that made my touchpad work allways..
    Nope not tryed that yet. thanks for the tip.
    I will post results but doubt i will have chance for a few days due to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast