Thread: Use of lzm packages in other distros

Default Use of lzm packages in other distros

Hi,

just looking for clarification on something.

If i install the proper Slackware distro, on a virtual pc... can i import the .lzm archives into that slackware installation?

The upshot would be, that I get all the tools that come by default in Backtrack, but in a Slackware environment?

Also, I am assuming that the pentest/lzm module is the one that houses the software... any advice on that would be great too.

Thanks

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by mcai8rw2 View Post
    Hi,

just looking for clarification on something.

If i install the proper Slackware distro, on a virtual pc... can i import the .lzm archives into that slackware installation?

The upshot would be, that I get all the tools that come by default in Backtrack, but in a Slackware environment?

Also, I am assuming that the pentest/lzm module is the one that houses the software... any advice on that would be great too.

Thanks
    yeah in sounds good in theory however its not going to be anywhere that easy. What you have to realize is that yes some of the tools may be in the pentest directory (only about 2/3 of them) however all the deps and libraries that those tools depend on are in their normal respective locations. In my humble opinion you would be much better of with one of these 2 options.
    #1. Install only the tools you need in a slackware set up. Most normal users never use half the stuff in bt anyway so compiling each tool from source as you need them is normally the way to go.
    #2. (This is what I do) I run Gentoo as my everyday desk top and then I run VMWare server (free) and have backtrack running in a virtual machine. Then I set it so that backtrack starts when I boot the host computer so any time I need a backtrack tool I just ssh over to my vm and now I have all the bt tools at my finger tips.
    Just my advice

Default Thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    yeah in sounds good in theory however its not going to be anywhere that easy. What you have to realize is that yes some of the tools may be in the pentest directory (only about 2/3 of them) however all the deps and libraries that those tools depend on are in their normal respective locations. In my humble opinion you would be much better of with one of these 2 options.
    #1. Install only the tools you need in a slackware set up. Most normal users never use half the stuff in bt anyway so compiling each tool from source as you need them is normally the way to go.
    #2. (This is what I do) I run Gentoo as my everyday desk top and then I run VMWare server (free) and have backtrack running in a virtual machine. Then I set it so that backtrack starts when I boot the host computer so any time I need a backtrack tool I just ssh over to my vm and now I have all the bt tools at my finger tips.
    Just my advice
    OK, thank you Pureh@te... i think i'll stick with the compiling each tool as/when i need it.

its true for me that I don;t use half the stuff in BT3 anyway... but i hate the thought of compromising on the tools i have!

Cheers