Thread: No changes saved

Just burned his ISO

Default No changes saved

Hi,

I have been doing lots of reading the past 3 days and I hope to get BT3 working with my new Eeepc 1000.

So far I have the USB ver of BT3 loaded on my 2gig usb pen and can only boot BT3 with vesa option. Startx will not work and last night tried

"BT3 with Compiz and persistent changes" Here is my Enty for syslinux.cfg I added for the persistent changes:

Code:
    LABEL eeepc
    MENU LABEL Eeepc save changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sda1 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255
    The changes=/dev/sda1 is my Usb stick with BT3 live. There is only the one partition (full 2 gig)

Code:
    LABEL compiz
    MENU LABEL BT3 with Compiz and persistent changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx changes=/dev/sda1
    Could someone be so kind as to help with where exactly does the folder "changes" go. I read that it should go in the BT3 partition. I created one there at /mnt/sda1/changes and didn't work. I did notice the root dir has a folder called changes but, just can not seem to get the files on the desk top saved after a reboot.

Also in the BT3 partition (sda1) where I created folder "changes" I also have another changes folder inside...if that is correct?

To make a long story short, my BT3 install with usb pen is format with only the one 2gig partition...Will that work having the changes folder in with the Boot, BT3, and other folders that are there?

Thanks for helping a newbie

You need at least two separate partitions. One fat32 and one ext2 or ext3. The changes folder should be located on the ext partition.
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Developer

I think the 1000 is the one that causes all the problems or doesn't startx right. There was a post a few months ago about fixing it.

Just burned his ISO

Hi, thanks

Code:
    pynstrom  	You need at least two separate partitions. One fat32 and one ext2 or ext3. The changes folder should be located on the ext partition.
    pynstrom, thanks and it's what I thought but just was not sure

Code:
    pureh@te  	I think the 1000 is the one that causes all the problems or doesn't startx right. There was a post a few months ago about fixing it.
    pureh@te, thank you. I read wireless probs with the Eee 1000 and now video...weeew, Live and Learn

One question, how would I format fat32 and ext2 on the same flash or usb pen?

Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by ra22arm View Post
    One question, how would I format fat32 and ext2 on the same flash or usb pen?
    I use Gparted live http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=11584
    When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Just burned his ISO

Hi

Wow I got it all working with an 8g SDHC card, and saving changes, he he he
    it's cool. Want to thank all who helped.

My ap that I used to format comes with BT3 called qtparted. Though, you have to make sure that the EXT2 partition is placed first then use the remaining free space for a fat32. Worked all ok and now just need to know what everyone else is using for a wireless driver.

I have no connection at all with my Eeepc 1000, Ralink 2790.

Any hints guys? I have been looking and can't find the right info on this, so any hep would be great

Just burned his ISO

Well, spoke too sooon!! Don't know what happened here but last night had my boot

LABEL eeepc running the save changes 100%. All changes are 625mb and I rebooted several times and all was fine. My EXT2 par which is sda1 and fat32 partiton sda2 worked and still are mounted.

Today, I could not boot up into my menu label Eeepc save changes or any other except for vesa (kde).

I have spent all evening here trying to figure out what happened...I haven't changed anything, but just won't go.

Here is my first and second boot entry in syslinux.cfg :

Code:
    LABEL eeepc
    MENU LABEL Eeepc save changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sda1 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255

LABEL compiz
    MENU LABEL BT3 with Compiz and persistent changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=255 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx changes=/dev/sda1
    How can it be that last night I was booting up with changes --working?

Now I hope someone has got some insight, cause I'm out of idea's here

This is a Eeepc 1000 with untouched Exandros --ssd 32gig and ssd 8gig. I installed the Usb v of BT3 with a SDHC 8gig.

How could this be possible? It was working sooooo good and I keep thinking it has to be something simple

Now, here is something I had to try. adding changes=/dev/sda1 to the (VESA KDE) option APPEND. That gives me the same errors as the Eeepc save changes one. I think intel drivers or something when using startx.

Well hope someone can help and I really appreciate this site and all the smart people. I am learning lots, and if I could get past this I would be oh so gratefull