Thread: backtrack cd's wont work

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy backtrack cd's wont work

i have plent of cds with the properly burnt iso images which work on other laptops bar mine i am using a compaq cq50
    i have a nvidi gforce graphics card which i think might be the problem because of drivers that i have read about
    but first thing is i put the dis in boot it up on startup then it goes through everything and then says someting like :
    fatal error accured bt3 data not found (usinga backrtak 3 disk )
    maybe a unsupported boot device nd random stuff like that then says something went wrong and we cant continue this should never happen press ctrl alt del to reboot computer
    i never get past that stage on my laptop :/ any help?
    im using vista home premium
    dual core processors 2ghz each
    2 gb of ram
    not too shabby
    any help would be helpful

Simply sound like your laptop isn't compatible. You've tried the different boot options?

What I suggest you is to try the VMware version. Maybe this works for you.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Just burned his ISO

Default done

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Simply sound like your laptop isn't compatible. You've tried the different boot options?

What I suggest you is to try the VMware version. Maybe this works for you.
    i have done the vmware image of backtrack3 but couldent get my netgear wg111t adaptor to work in it said had some error or couldent load it from usb or somthing
    might just steal ma gf's laptop lol

Have you checked the HCL on the wiki for advice on this particular laptop or similar models?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

have you tried booting with a USB stick?

Just burned his ISO

I'm having the same issue with my new macbook pro. I was kinda bound by working the in the graphic industry....but at the same time i figured it would be awesome to slap BT3 on here. I've had no luck. I have gotten the VMware one to work, I just need to set down and figure out how to get everything working correctly.

Just seems like it would be enormously easier if I could just get it to boot and then install it. I even have the partitions ready :sigh:

Just an Idea:

Would it be possible to just get another version of slackware or the nature, and steal the tools from Backtrack 3? If this is a retarded question, tell me to shut it.
    heh,thx

Quote Originally Posted by kptclutch View Post
    I'm having the same issue with my new macbook pro. I was kinda bound by working the in the graphic industry....but at the same time i figured it would be awesome to slap BT3 on here. I've had no luck. I have gotten the VMware one to work, I just need to set down and figure out how to get everything working correctly.

Just seems like it would be enormously easier if I could just get it to boot and then install it. I even have the partitions ready :sigh:

Just an Idea:

Would it be possible to just get another version of slackware or the nature, and steal the tools from Backtrack 3? If this is a retarded question, tell me to shut it.
    heh,thx
    Shut up.

Seriously, fleabay has cheap ass laptops that will work.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

i have the compaq cq50 as well and so far have found no way to get BT running apart form usb and then it doesnt reconise my harddrive or dvd drive. I had the same problem with every flavour of linux i tried until recently when i tried ubuntu Intrepid which works. hopefully BT4 will work but until then like barry says just get yourself a cheap one off ebay that is o the hcl.
    "At least black people knew when they where slaves" Doug stanhope

Just burned his ISO

Angry surprised face....lol

Just kidding. Alright then, I guess its off to egay then.

Thanks for the help.

super noob out