Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Noob in Need...

Default A Noob in Need...

I have the Linksys WUSB54G wireless card.

I have BT3 installed on my flashdisk and i have to reboot my computer into it everytime to use it. So im kinda jumping in between which sucks (Havent learned that yet)

Anyway when i start BT3 i goto Wireless Assistant (ive heard not to use it)and it shows the networks i click connect it says connected but no internet. Then it will disconnect on its own and when i go back to Wireless Assistant there is no networks. I have code from hell written down everywhere ive tried all kinds of stuff. It appears the network im trying to connect to is there when i go through shell its on the rausb0, and ath0 has something on it too but i cant figure out what it is yet. But im pretty sure rausb0 is what i want..
    Ive tried this:

ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 "Essid" -which im assuming is the network name right?
    iwconfig rausb0 mode managed
    dhcpcd -nd rausb0

Nothing there.. Ive tried a pppoe setup command but it says network is down.

I had the internet working for a short while then i dont know what happened, messed it up maybe?

Normally after i do all the wireless assistant then it disconnects on me. I goto Wlan Manager and it says new interface found ath0 which is nothing and then it says it again with rausb0 so i go into that and leave it on auto (dhcp) and i activate it then i enable it down in the right corner it says connected... but its not. Its just crazy how it would show it one minute on Wire Assistant then its gone the next.. hmm Maybe i need to enter it in manualy? which ive tried a hundred times...

Please help im dieing to move on already....

Thanks

P.s Ive been trying to find a tutorial on what to do soon as you boot up BT3 right from the begining.. Havent found one.. Is there one? Jeez my brain hurts from all the unix code flying through it...

Just burned his ISO

If you know the IP address of the Network your trying to get onto you could just type it in manually ifconfig ath0 or rausb0 192.168.0.1 (hit-return)

If that dosnt work try the Control Panel, Network Settings, Wireless.. Enable or Disable buttons

here is a helpful command you should know

man <program>

so in your case do

man iwconfig
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

I liked the manual for iwconfig threw lots of paper work away.. ive tried doing it manual i get a signal of 57/100 so i assume its connected to the access point but its not connecting to the ip maybe? hmm... when i enter all this in manualy do i enter the WAN MAC/WAN IP?. When i try to do it manually through the shell nothing comes up in the right hand corner about rausb0 connected but when i do it through lan manager it works and says connected but no internet...

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Looks like you're missing the DHCP

After getting connected to the AP (seeing connection strength) try ;

Code:
    dhcpcd -d <interface>

I tried the dhcpcd -d rausb0 but it just displays MY MAC?.. I also had another one that is dhcpcd -nd rausb0.. What is the diff between -d and -nd they both do the same thing from what i see? Anyway im able to see my Link Quality and Bitrate after i assign the AP of the router manualy.. So i must be connected to the access point.. Moving on.. when i enable rausb0, down in the right hand corner it says "Requesting IP Address" but it doesnt go through... Getting it to give me the IP Address is now my main problem. I looked on the advanced setup of the router and it shows the DHCP Client List and it shows i am assigned to 192.168.2.5.. and the default gateway is 192.168.2.1.. so what is the problem lol... so confused. Is it the drivers maybe? Im gonna look at some forums on drivers...

Just burned his ISO

yea, i had a strange problem with wi-assistent. when i connect to my router, it sed connection failed, but then in connected to it and internet, but if it "connects" no internet..

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

The -d option will only give you the mac address of your card and then when IP address is assigned, also the IP address.

If no IP address came up, then no IP was assigned.

the -nd replaces the previous DHCP or so I thought..

Do you ever get the message that DHCP is already running ?
    If you do there is sometimes a message advising to delete a dhcpd.ath0.pid
    file
    (or something close.. not behind a BT pc at the mo..)

You may have to delete that file ot get it working.

By the way.. what encryption is your AP set to ?

Its unsecured if thats what you mean?... And i havent recieved that message before.. Im going to reinstall a fresh copy onto my flash and start over.. The internet was connected at one time then all of a sudden its not.. Ill try deleting that file tho and trying again..

Talking

Ok.. I put a fresh copy of bt3 on my flash.. Nothings different. The only way ive found out to connect to the internet through backtrack3 for me is to open the Wireless Assistant soon as i boot up, connect to my usual network then close the Wireless Assistant and Wah la! I have internet and it doesnt disconnect. The only way ive found out to make the connection symbol appear in the corner is to open WLan Manager and set up the interfaces i skip the ath0 seeing how its nothing i use.. for the rausb0 i just set the BSSID, then it shows the connection symbol in the corner and both bulbs are flashing. If i try going straight to the Wireless Lan Manager and set up the interface first without using wireless assistant i get nothing (I assign the interface to Auto DHCP, i think the access point showing the MAC is my problem with connecting like this, it just doesnt find it in auto mode)If i try to manualy set the AP using iwconfig rausb0 ap 00:00:00:00:00:00 it goes through but nothing changes it doesnt display it when i do iwconfig, when i connect through wireless assistant and use iwconfig (When internet actually works) it shows me this....

RT73 WLAN ESSID:"belkin54g"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.462 GHz Access Point: (MAC of AP)
    Bit rate= 12 Mb/s
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key: off
    Link Quality= 45/100 Signal level:-80 dBm Noise level: -143 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Looks right? doesnt it?

When i try to do all of this manually everything shows up the way it is besides the Access Point: (MAC of AP) . THIS MUST BE WHY IM NOT CONNECTING....

Experiment for me:

Gonna try and do:

ifconfig rausb0 down
    then
    iwconfig (to see if anything has changed)
    then
    ifconfig rausb0 up

to see if it connects. when i did the down command it went down like it should. When i did iwconfig it showed the interface as it was when it was connected.. then when i tried ifconfig rausb0 up it activated but there was no internet.. hmm.. i did iwconfig again and it was still the same as when it was connected.. So i double clicked or right clicked on the connection symbol in the corner and it did nothing for a second and then it disapeared.. i went back to wlan manager and my interface didnt show up... Then things start running slow and wlan manager eventually freezes up and i cant get it back without restarting and doing it all over again. Im not able to shut down the internet and bring it back up... Also when i go into monitor mode nothing comes up when i do airodump-ng rausb0 .. THE END.. Sorry it's so long and jumbled...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast