Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call Quality: VOIP/SIP versus Skype

Default Call Quality: VOIP/SIP versus Skype

I use a stand-alone Skype phone (RJ45 plugs into router) but lately i've been experiencing dropped calls and sometimes only one side can hear and the other is "deaf". I'm not sure if it's the internet connection or something with Skype itsself. I'd like to buy a VIOP/SIP phone and compare the difference.

Has anyone out there used both VOIP/SIP phones and Skype phones side-by-side? Is there really any major difference? Or for VOIP/SIP I suppose the quality depends on the VOIP/SIP provider?
    The link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill...

Sorry to say it, but this forum is for Backtrack mainly.
    I think there are more appropriate forums out there for this
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii67 View Post
    I think there are more appropriate forums out there for this
    Yes but there's also a lot of like-mined people here, which is why I posted here asking what Linux distro I should get; I knew I'd get good advice from people who use their computer for the same kind of stuff that I use it for.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

The subtitle for the "General IT Discussion" says "Non BT Related Topics"

So, based on VOIP being IT related, but not BT, I think it falls in this area, no?

Quote Originally Posted by radioraiders View Post
    The subtitle for the "General IT Discussion" says "Non BT Related Topics"

So, based on VOIP being IT related, but not BT, I think it falls in this area, no?
    Don't take it as an offense dude and keep your shirt on.
    It was just an advice. Maybe someone here can help you with your issue but it's more likely to get help in special forums like here:
    http://forum.skype.com/

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I use a stand-alone Skype phone (RJ45 plugs into router) but lately i've been experiencing dropped calls and sometimes only one side can hear and the other is "deaf". I'm not sure if it's the internet connection or something with Skype itsself. I'd like to buy a VIOP/SIP phone and compare the difference.

Has anyone out there used both VOIP/SIP phones and Skype phones side-by-side? Is there really any major difference? Or for VOIP/SIP I suppose the quality depends on the VOIP/SIP provider?
    If your router supports it make sure you have QOS properly configured for VoIP traffic.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Don't take it as an offense dude and keep your shirt on.
    It was just an advice. Maybe someone here can help you with your issue but it's more likely to get help in special forums like here:
    http://forum.skype.com/
    Shirt's on
    I've found this forum (Remote-Exploit) usually has people with good, unbiased IT info, so figured this is a good place to ask. The Skype forum may be biased.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If your router supports it make sure you have QOS properly configured for VoIP traffic.
    Yea, mine does, and it is (they usually are pre-configured for QoS out-of-the-box). Don't know about the other end tho. The DSL in their city is questionable, so I have a feeling its that.

But anyway, I'm more interested to find out the inner workings of Skype (P2P, proprietary black-box) versus the open-source SIP protocol. Which works better, or is there no real difference?. So far I've heard more good things about SIP than Skype.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Shirt's on

Yea, mine does, and it is (they usually are pre-configured for QoS out-of-the-box). Don't know about the other end tho. The DSL in their city is questionable, so I have a feeling its that.
    QoS configured out of the box, if you say so.

I'm not a big fan of DSL service myself, and I'll be happy when it's completely gone. It was a good idea when it started out, but it's time to put it away and move on. Chances are, it's the person that you're speaking to on the DSL service that's having problems. Especially if you're going VoIP to VoIP connection, and not a VoIP to POTS.

A friend of mine was using pfsense for his router. It has some interesting tools for VoIP, where when you begin to place a VoIP call it will allocate the bandwidth needed for the call and not allow another service to take the bandwidth. Pretty much a more granular version of QoS.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

But anyway, I'm more interested to find out the inner workings of Skype (P2P, proprietary black-box) versus the open-source SIP protocol. Which works better, or is there no real difference?. So far I've heard more good things about SIP than Skype.
    Did you already check this out?

http://www.secdev.org/conf/skype_BHEU06.handout.pdf

No, never saw that, thanks. Interesting, but generally not much new (Skype is a proprietary blackbox, blah-blah). What was more interesting was to see EADS giving a presentation at a BlackHat conference

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    QoS configured out of the box, if you say so.

I'm not a big fan of DSL service myself, and I'll be happy when it's completely gone. It was a good idea when it started out, but it's time to put it away and move on. Chances are, it's the person that you're speaking to on the DSL service that's having problems. Especially if you're going VoIP to VoIP connection, and not a VoIP to POTS.

A friend of mine was using pfsense for his router. It has some interesting tools for VoIP, where when you begin to place a VoIP call it will allocate the bandwidth needed for the call and not allow another service to take the bandwidth. Pretty much a more granular version of QoS.
    What alternatives are there to DSL? Cable? Fibre? I think cable is worse than DSL, isn't cable more "shared" by all users? FO would be nice, but it's not quite there yet. We have FTTN but the last few hundred meters is still copper. But that's good enough for 15Mbps VDSL tho.

...and thanks for the pfsense link. I'll look more into that, heard alot of good firewall/routing/etc stuff about FreeBSD. What about DD-WRT? Or is that more for WiFi control and not so much the routing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast