Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Difference between Super Cantenna SCB10 and SCB10X

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    "Official cantenna"? If you're that gullible, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to consider buying. Cheap. Hardly used.

Nope, "best" is subjective. I have a load of RF cards (20+, none is an Alfa), and at least three or four of the are "best" at different tasks. Also, there is such a thing as too much RF power.
    OK I see what you are saying. But the Alfa seems to be a decently reliable device at working under backtrack 3 at cracking wep, correct?

What about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LONG-RANGE-600-m...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by then00b View Post
    OK I see what you are saying. But the Alfa seems to be a decently reliable device at working under backtrack 3 at cracking wep, correct?
    Let's get a couple of thing straight:

1) Wireless cards don't crack encryption, WEP or otherwise. Programs crack encryption. Cards transmit and receive data, and may or may not work in different modes (e.g. monitor) depending on on what drivers that are available for them under a give OS. Data captured from a card is then fed to a cracking program.

2) Cracking WEP is a simple, and IMHO, a very lame, attack. It's old, it's easy to do, and WEP is known to be vulnerable, so what's the point in doing it? These days, there are only two valid reasons to crack WEP encryption:
    a) You're a professional and a client that requires that you prove it's possible.
    b) You want to actually try it once, just to say you've done it.

The only other reason isn't valid, it's just that you're a low-life thief, and want to steal access off some hapless victim.

Senao devices are generally good.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Replying back to update on the SRC + Cantenna combo mate. The card and default antenna alone are rather disappointing. I had a rather nice dbi gain with the cantenna, however. It made up for it somewhat but, honestly, for the price of the card it's not quite worth it. Mister Thorn, I've read a large number of the card threads and reviews on here, but you mentioned that you have a few cards that are the "best" at different tasks, could you please clarify more on the specific cards and tasks you use them for? It's nice to have an actual definite opinion from someone with that many cards. It would be much appreciated

Let's get a couple of thing straight:

1) Wireless cards don't crack encryption, WEP or otherwise. Programs crack encryption. Cards transmit and receive data, and may or may not work in different modes (e.g. monitor) depending on on what drivers that are available for them under a give OS. Data captured from a card is then fed to a cracking program.

2) Cracking WEP is a simple, and IMHO, a very lame, attack. It's old, it's easy to do, and WEP is known to be vulnerable, so what's the point in doing it? These days, there are only two valid reasons to crack WEP encryption:
    a) You're a professional and a client that requires that you prove it's possible.
    b) You want to actually try it once, just to say you've done it.

The only other reason isn't valid, it's just that you're a low-life thief, and want to steal access off some hapless victim.

Senao devices are generally good.
    OK OK, I see what you are saying. I know the card doesn't crack the WEP. But you are just throwing words around, (I know it sounds like I am mad at you but I am not) what I am trying to say is that the Alfa 500mw USB Wifi adapter can be used in conjunction with the correct drivers and Backtrack 3 and to "capture data for Backtrack 3 to crack" That make you happy? But ya, with the help of Backtrack 3 would you assume that the Senao 600mw or the Alfa 500mw would be better (with the help of backtrack 3) at cracking WEP? I mean I bet they either work or not, but if you had to choose. The 600mw looks really appealing...

And ya, for the cracking WEP, B is it for me, I just want to do it to my own network once...not a big deal. And I have my own internet so...I am not a low life theif, the cash I am going to pay for a new antenna, cable, and wifi adapter, like...lets say 150...that is like what like 5 months of internet? So I am not getting in it to steal...I would end up losing money really.

Just checked for the 600mw Senao Linux drivers, there aren't any for Linux released by Senao...so....IDK...have been reading a little...maybe the Senao won't be so good for linux...

OK OK, I see what you are saying. I know the card doesn't crack the WEP. But you are just throwing words around, (I know it sounds like I am mad at you but I am not) what I am trying to say is that the Alfa 500mw USB Wifi adapter can be used in conjunction with the correct drivers and Backtrack 3 and to "capture data for Backtrack 3 to crack" That make you happy?
    That does make me happier that you understand the difference. It isn't a matter of 'throwing words around', rather, it's a matter of precision in speech. This is a technical forum, and saying thing imprecisely is often a major source of confusion to those who are new to a given technology.

But ya, with the help of Backtrack 3 would you assume that the Senao 600mw or the Alfa 500mw would be better (with the help of backtrack 3) at cracking WEP? I mean I bet they either work or not, but if you had to choose. The 600mw looks really appealing...
    The assumption is incorrect. Higher RF power is unnecessary for cracking WEP. Ability to transmit (higher RF transmit [TX] power) in no way shows the ability to receive (receiver [RX] sensitivity). This is often a mistake of those who know little to nothing about how radios work. To collect packets, you want good RX sensitivity; too high TX power can actually be detrimental.

And ya, for the cracking WEP, B is it for me, I just want to do it to my own network once...not a big deal. And I have my own internet so...I am not a low life theif, the cash I am going to pay for a new antenna, cable, and wifi adapter, like...lets say 150...that is like what like 5 months of internet? So I am not getting in it to steal...I would end up losing money really.
    If you truly want to just do this on your own as you claim, there are any number of low TX power cards that will do this just fine.

Just checked for the 600mw Senao Linux drivers, there aren't any for Linux released by Senao...so....IDK...have been reading a little...maybe the Senao won't be so good for linux...
    Generally, Senao cards use the Prism 2.x chipset, and the Linux drivers are mature and well supported.
    Thorn

OK let me try to say exactly what I am thinking here.

OK, that makes perfect sense, but I wasn't saying just because this card has X power it is better than X card. I was saying, it seems to me and the little bit of googling I have done, that the Alfa has proven itself as a suitable device (in conjuction with software) to be able to crack wep. I really haven't found too much information on the Senao. But I found the datasheets for both of the adapters, and Thorn, I would like to ask you, which one's better in sensitivity/power, I don't really know what the numbers mean (well I do but I am not too sure of myself)

600mw

• Receive Sensitivity (Typical)
    2.412~2.472G(IEEE802.11g)
    6Mbps@ -90dBm;
    54Mbps@ -74dBm
    2.412~2.472G(IEEE802.11b)
    1Mbps@ -95dBm
    11Mbps@ -90dBm
    • Available Transmit Power (Typical)
    2.412~2.472G(IEEE802.11g)
    26dBm @6 ~ 24Mbps
    24dBm@36Mbps
    23 dBm@48Mbps
    22dBm@54Mbps
    2.412~2.472G(IEEE802.11b)
    27 dBm@1, 2, 5.5 and 11Mbps

On the second datasheet on the 600mw (I don't get it either, there are 2 different datasheets on this sucker)

Current consumption
    Tx Current ≦ 685mA (Full transmit)
    Rx Current ≦ 515mA (Full transmit)

Available transmit power
    Receive Sensitivity (Typical)
    802.11g:
    -90 dBm @ 6Mbps,
    -74 dBm @ 54Mbp
    802.11b:
    -95 dBm @ 1Mbps
    -90 dBm @ 11Mbps
    Available transmit power (Typical)
    􀁺 2.412~2.472 GHz (IEEE802.11g)
    26 @6~24Mbps
    24 @ 36Mbps
    23 @ 48Mbps
    22 @ 54Mbps
    􀁺 2.412~2.462 GHz (IEEE802.11b)
    27 dBm @1~11Mbps

500mw

Output Power
    20 dBm (OFDM),27dBm(CCK)
    Sensitivity for 802.11b
    1, 2 Mbps (BPSK, QPSK): - 96dBm
    11 Mbps (CCK): -91dBm
    (Typically @PER < 8% packet size 1024 and
    @25ºC + 5ºC)
    Sensitivity for 802.11g
    54Mpbs (64QAM): -76dbm
    48Mbps (64QAM): -71dbm
    36Mpbs (16QAM): -78dbm
    24Mbps (16QAM): -80dbm
    18Mbps (QPSK): -81dbm
    12Mpbs (QPSK): -82dbm
    9Mbps (BPSK): -85dbm
    6Mbps (BPSK): -91dbm
    (typically @PER < 10% packet size 1024 and @25ºC + 5ºC)

So which one has better overall I guess Sensitivity and power. I am thinking I would be mostly working with 802.11G, so...yeah.

And acording to my research, it seems as though the Senao has a Atheros chipset. The only 2 websites that actually give me a model number (Atheros 1000 for example, instead of just Atheros chipset) give two different model numbers. Oddly enough these websites aren't in the US, one is definately Spanish, I don't know what the other one is.

Atheros 5213
    Atheros AR2414A
    http://tinyurl.com/5fvf3z
    http://tinyurl.com/5m98nk

All of the other US sites say that it is just an Atheros chipset. But on some linux forums and such I have read some stuff that the 600mw only has a max power of 63mw or 17dBm when using the madwifi drivers. (I think that is the name of them) I don't know, I just have a little bit of a bad feeling about this 600mw card...

I don't know why you're so hung up on a 600mw card. I've cracked a wep key with an Orinoco Gold card. It took a while though. I had iTunes stream music over the connection. The computer I set up for screwing around with cracking/hacking wifi has four 500mw cards in it, pretty sure I've never really used the full power of any of them.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

The lower the number the better the RX sensitivity. e.g. -90dB is better than -60dB. All of those devices show identical or very close performance on RX sensitivity.

On other thing to consider regarding TX power: unless you have a requirement to output a high amount of power because of attenuation in the enviroment (high absorbsion in walls, etc.), then you are wasting power in electricity as well as contributing to RF pollution. That translates to less use of other devices in the same spectrum that you may have in your home.

As chipset of those devices you're looking at, I can't tell. I never use obscufated URLs as they are a potential security issue.
    Thorn

The lower the number the better the RX sensitivity. e.g. -90dB is better than -60dB. All of those devices show identical or very close performance on RX sensitivity.

On other thing to consider regarding TX power: unless you have a requirement to output a high amount of power because of attenuation in the enviroment (high absorbsion in walls, etc.), then you are wasting power in electricity as well as contributing to RF pollution. That translates to less use of other devices in the same spectrum that you may have in your home.

As chipset of those devices you're looking at, I can't tell. I never use obscufated URLs as they are a potential security issue.
    Cause I got nothing to worry about.

http://loja.tray.com.br/loja/produto...heros_mikrotik
    http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/...mw-80211bg-_JM
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

OK OK fair enough.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/...mw-80211bg-_JM

http://loja.tray.com.br/loja/produto...heros_mikrotik

But I think I am going to go Alfa here, I don't know why, I just don't have a good feeling about this 600mw.

Now to decide what cable to go with (LMR 195 or 200, or should I go LMR 400, but that is a lot more expensive, how long do I want these cables? I can get a really long LMR 400 at a little less loss than a short LMR 195, and someone on ebay sells LMR 400 cable in multiples of 10 feet for 7.50 per 10 feet...and then a connector, but that is cheaper than a pre made one, but do I trust myself adn my skills to make a good one? I don't know...)

EDIT: Doh, you beat me to the links Barry

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast