Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between Super Cantenna SCB10 and SCB10X

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Gotta love chicks that buy you computer stuff!
    She's awesome. A little abusive. But that's how I like it

Quote Originally Posted by CainM View Post
    What wireless adapter do you have on you anyway?
    A poop that operates on a PCI bus. Honeslty.

A realtek 8185 card, that works fine in windows. But in Linux, the drive won't work in BT3 or the latest Ubuntu, I got the driver to work in BT2, and I got all the way thru cracking my WEP, but here is the issue, I got something like 5 million packets (after leaving my computer on over night) but only like 10000IVs or some small number, not enough to crack the WEP key. It would have taken a week if not more if I had let it go to get enough keys.

So ya if I want to crack some WEP I have to get a new card...

hyper text trasnfer protocol://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&it em=190261759135

There she blows (literally, my card blows)

Just burned his ISO

Oh dear. I don't think you need to be worrying about antennas at the moment then. You should consider picking up an Alfa AWUS036H. It's gotten rather positive reviews and comments across the board. It's also much cheaper than the Ubiquitis and has stellar performance according to our seasoned veterans here. I think you can usually pick it up for around 50 US dollars. The antenna on it, like Ninja says, is rather decent. Cheers mate

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

She's awesome. A little abusive. But that's how I like it
    lmao made me laugh
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Oh dear. I don't think you need to be worrying about antennas at the moment then. You should consider picking up an Alfa AWUS036H. It's gotten rather positive reviews and comments across the board. It's also much cheaper than the Ubiquitis and has stellar performance according to our seasoned veterans here. I think you can usually pick it up for around 50 US dollars. The antenna on it, like Ninja says, is rather decent. Cheers mate
    Here is the thing....My PC is decently old, super shit socket 423 (was obselete like 6 months after launch) first P4, 1.3ghz, and I have no USB 2.0 ports.

I know I know, eBay, a PCI card, I have USB 2.0, but that is more money I have to dump into something I wasn't really into in the first place, I mean I just want a new antenna really, but I will buy a new wifi card, just not a 60 dollar one...

Looked on ebay, 6 dollars for a 5 USB PCI card. Bought it.

Also, looked around, this is only 400mw, but 32 dollars as compared to the alfa.

h t t p ://cgi.ebay.com/400mW-USB-Wireless-WiFi-G-Adapter-w-5dBi-Antenna-Jack_W0QQitemZ300276566390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_ HN_Network_Adapters?hash=item300276566390&_trksid= p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3 A1318

Thoughts?

Just burned his ISO

Mmmm. That looks like a RTL8187N / 8187N. Is this supported under BackTrack? I'm not seeing it on the Wiki and Aircrack-ng. Can someone give some feedback on the matter please?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by then00b View Post
    Looked on ebay, 6 dollars for a 5 USB PCI card. Bought it.

Also, looked around, this is only 400mw, but 32 dollars as compared to the alfa.

h t t p ://cgi.ebay.com/400mW-USB-Wireless-WiFi-G-Adapter-w-5dBi-Antenna-Jack_W0QQitemZ300276566390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_ HN_Network_Adapters?hash=item300276566390&_trksid= p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3 A1318

Thoughts?
    That's like a bit of false advertising there in some respects, at least to me, a bait-and-switch sorta thing. It's not a 400mw output card/chipset, not even close, but they're figuring the math with the 5 dBi antenna attached equates to 400mw - that's pretty lame to do that, but I guess it's a pretty common thing.

I mean I'm not a math genius or an electrical engineer, and my Ham license expired 25 years ago (I'm old, sue me), but if it's not an actual 400mw output product, I can't see how it's legit for 'em to advertise it as such. The Ubiquiti products (and the Senaos) actually output their rated power levels as advertised. This thing smacks of a cheap POS to me, who knows.

Curious to know if anyone snags one and what their experience(s) with it are/might be.

So if I got an Alfa 500mw and got an antenna (duh)the overall output would be over 500mw? That seems like what you are saying, antennas increase the power of the card output?

Quote Originally Posted by then00b View Post
    So if I got an Alfa 500mw and got an antenna (duh)the overall output would be over 500mw? That seems like what you are saying, antennas increase the power of the card output?
    Antennas do not increase the power of the card, per se. What they do is more akin to focusing the power. Think of the way that the reflector in a flashlight makes the flashlight appear to be brighter. In a similar manner, a properly designed antenna helps the radio waves move out in the desired way, and gives an apparent increase in the radiated power. This apparent increase is called gain, and expressed as decibels (dB). When referring to antennas, decibels can be either be "decibels relative to isotropic" (dBi) or "decibels relative to a dipole antenna" (dBd). While the difference is technical, you should know that:

dBi = dBd + 2.15
    or
    dBd = dBi - 2.15

This make it important to check the dB notation on a given antenna, so that you can accurately compare gain between brands of similar antennas.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast