Thread: Need help with my wireless card

Just burned his ISO

Default Need help with my wireless card

This being my first post, I'd like to greet the whole community. I'm a computer science freshman and decided to get my hands on Linux but I have a problem. I've been searching for the solution for days now and I've finally decided to post it on forums.

I'm using a HP 6735b laptop and I'm pretty sure my wireless card chipset is Broadcom (I've even extracted its Windows driver installation that came with the machine to see if there's something relevant to the chipset and saw a couple of files containing "bcm43xx"). The thing is, AFAIK, bcm43xx drivers are supposed to be included in the kernel of the BT3 Final release but neither ifconfig nor iwconfig doesn't show up anything about my card (only "no wireless extensions" lines appear). Furthermore, Wireless Assistant claims that I've "no usable wireless devices".

I'm using a live USB distribution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Linux Rules

Rule 1: Broadcom will never work with linux without ndiswrapper, and even after that you wont be able to crack WEP very easily.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Quote Originally Posted by Shavx View Post
    Linux Rules

Rule 1: Broadcom will never work with linux without ndiswrapper, and even after that you wont be able to crack WEP very easily.
    Come on, once again with the bullshit advice? If you do not know the answer simply do not bother to post in the thread.

First of all most Broadcom cards are supported by linux, and many are even working out of the box in BT3. Secondly, you will never manage to crack WEP using the windows drivers along with ndiswrapper as monitor mode isn't supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphe View Post
    I'm using a HP 6735b laptop and I'm pretty sure my wireless card chipset is Broadcom (I've even extracted its Windows driver installation that came with the machine to see if there's something relevant to the chipset and saw a couple of files containing "bcm43xx"). The thing is, AFAIK, bcm43xx drivers are supposed to be included in the kernel of the BT3 Final release but neither ifconfig nor iwconfig doesn't show up anything about my card (only "no wireless extensions" lines appear). Furthermore, Wireless Assistant claims that I've "no usable wireless devices".
    The thing is that there are multiple BCM43xx chipsets, some which will work out of the box using the in BT3 included BCM43XX driver and some that will not. For example BCM4318 will work just fine whereas BCM4320 will require you to upgrade the kernel and install the b43 driver. To find out the exact flavour of your card use the command:
    Code:
    lspci -n
    and look at the following string "14e4:xxxx". The cards that are supported by the in BT3 included driver can be found here and a list of the ones that work with the improved b43 driver can be found here.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Originally posted by Tron:

For example BCM4318 will work just fine
    Your link to Broadcom 43xx Linux Driver states the following: 4318 PCI/Cardbus Unstable (transmission power issues, work in progress). Aren't there some issues with this card.

Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    Originally posted by Tron:

Your link to Broadcom 43xx Linux Driver states the following: 4318 PCI/Cardbus Unstable (transmission power issues, work in progress). Aren't there some issues with this card.
    The BCM4318 happens to be the only Broadcom card that I actually have any personal experience from. I do not know exactly what kind of transmission power issues they are talking about, but can confirm that the card does indeed work fine out of the box in BT3, injection and monitor mode included. However, PWR readings are not supported, all APs will show up as -1 or 0, and the maximum injection rate is rather low as does the TX power seem to be. Not exactly certain if the low TX power is related only to the card itself being weak or if there are some driver issues as well.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Even though I got no useful information with lspci -n command (no such line as "14e4:xxxx"), I've figured out that it's the chipset ID I must be looking for. I've found a way to determine that information under Windows (first result when when you google "Determining the Correct Driver for Broadcom") and it seems that my chipset ID is 4315 which is not listed in neither of the driver support lists. Is there a way to overcome this problem? Or am I out of luck and need to buy a new card?

Cheers.