Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack 3 install & grub

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 3 install & grub

I've installed BT3 on my laptop where I had ubuntu and winxp. How can I setup grub menu.lst file so it would automaticly started KDE in Backtrack?

this thing doesn't work:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda3 ro autoexec=xconf;kdm

it starts up the same thing this code does

kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda3 ro

why is that, and how to fix it?

Simply edit the /etc/inittab file. The only change needed to automatically start KDE at boot is:
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault:
    into
    Code:
    id:4:initdefault:
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I've changed it, but it's not working... It stops, and it's not working

Quote Originally Posted by ikanizaj View Post
    I've changed it, but it's not working... It stops, and it's not working
    Are you positive that you changed it correctly? The modification changes the default runlevel to 4, which is the KDE graphical environment. You should not do any modifications in grub, simply point it to boot the BT partition normally.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

yes, I'm sure. It started booting, and when it needed to start KDE it simply stoped, just an empty screen. when I tryed to run KDE from the shell it said something like "error, there is no screen instaled, and I wasn't able to run KDE. So, I'm guessing something went wrong during instalation. I'll run it again...

yes, and which vga code is for 1280x800 screen?

Just burned his ISO

I have BT3 installed on my hard drive with XP and it runs without any problems, though it took a lot of research and watching videos, it is simple. What i don't know is how to get access to the drive that bt3 is installed on. In storage manage, when i double click on it to browse its contents, i get this error - "A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal"). Can any body help me?

Just burned his ISO

when I type in startx

it says:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    giving up

here

Code:
    title		BackTrack 3
    rootnoverify	(hd0,6)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz vga=791 root=/dev/sda7 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx
    boot
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO

thanks shavx, but that didn't worked... I don't know what to do... How can I install KDE can I put the package on usbstick, and then install it, or something??

Quote Originally Posted by ikanizaj View Post
    thanks shavx, but that didn't worked... I don't know what to do... How can I install KDE can I put the package on usbstick, and then install it, or something??
    KDE is the default shell when you run startx. Maybe try reinstalling BT? What happens when you run it on a live disc or USB Thumbdrive? Does it start properly and allow you to get to a desktop environment through startx? If so, then maybe you have a problem with your install. If not, then you need to get it working with your GPU first and then save those settings to the xorg config.

I have BT3 on a USB drive with Grub4DOS and a menu.lst
    Here is what I have in mine:
    Code:
    title Load BackTrack3
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz vga=normal max_loop=255 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz init=linuxrc load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    Not sure what that will do for you on the HDD though. You would have to point it to the path or folder where BT files exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast