Thread: Install RTL8187 driver on Ubuntu

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Install RTL8187 driver on Ubuntu

I've after installing Ubuntu on my laptop to use as my main OS. My Alfa wifi works but it reports a low signal, so I want to use the driver that comes with Backtrack 3.

The driver used in Backtrack 3 is, as far as I know, Version 1.1 by Andrea Merello. I've done some Googling but I can't find any definitive resources for this driver, I just keep getting hits to different forums.

Furthermore, I don't know much about adding drivers to Linux. (I've spent the last few days reading Linux tutorials because I want to abandon WinXP as my main OS).

Can anyone help me out? First of all do I need a ".ko" file? I really don't know where to start.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Developer

Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 down	 
    rmmod r8187 rtl8187 2>/dev/null
    wget http://dl.aircrack-ng.org/drivers/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.zip
    unzip rtl8187_linux_26.1010.zip
    cd rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/
    wget http://patches.aircrack-ng.org/rtl8187_2.6.24v3.patch
    tar xzf drv.tar.gz
    tar xzf stack.tar.gz
    patch -Np1 -i rtl8187_2.6.24v3.patch
    make
    make install
    That is the old driver however it should work fine in ubuntu.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Thanks for that, I had to get a different patch though because the latest Ubuntu uses a different kernel, it's working perfect now though.

I'm not sure if I'm happy with GNome. I'm trying to like it but I think I'll end up switching to KDE. I need to sort the fonts out coz they don't look the best.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".