Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT3 Final to HDD (using old KMDR) script

Default BT3 Final to HDD (using old KMDR) script

Follow these steps, I made them and so far they worked for me. Simple and easy way to install BT3 Final to your hard drive. This is not for dual boot.
    NOTE
    **** This "How To" Will Wipe Out Everything From Your HDD*************
    Also, Just to make this clear. This is completely diffrent from "pureh@te's way of installing to HDD. This Method also uses the old BT3 Beta Installer.
    *This method so far has worked completely fine for my, I have it on 3 PC's 2 laptops and 2 USB's.

If you have a spare HDD, I would suggest to use that one. Unplug the power supply to your Windows HDD and ONLY leave power to the spare HDD. This way if you get confused or mistakenly format the wrong HDD. Just to make sure you do not wipe out your Windows OS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Once you have Downloaded th Live CD .ISO from the Web Site.
    And have Downloaded the Installer from FileWiz. ----> Dang thang wont let me post URLS cause I havent made 15 post's Grrrrrrr!Or Download the Installer from kin.calvin.free.fr/blog/?p=16 (i recommend saving the installer to a USB thumb drive)
    Burn the .ISO. Reboot your PC. If your BIOS has not been set to Boot from CD/DVD Rom, Please Config. it, to do so by invoking your BIOS by hitting either F2 or DEL on your keyboard as soon as your PC turns on. Once you have set your settings, Save and Exit the BIOS. Your PC will start up again. This time with the Linux BackTrack3 Live CD .ISO in the CD/DVD tray. You machine will then start Loading BT3 ONLY as a LIVE CD from the disc.
    Once it is Loaded. It will run like an OS, but from the CD/DVD tray. You will not be able to open the disc tray while the BT3 CD is running.
    Insert the USB stick or what ever medium you have saved the BT3.kmdr you Downloaded form FileWiz. Browse and open the Directory in which the BT3.kmdr is located. DO NOT EXECUTE THE BT3.kmdr YET!!! Now for the Partioning of your HDD.

*Preping Your HDA.
    If you had a Windows OS and/or saved Data to the spare HDD, Then there will be Partitions you will have to Delete. I will now be reffering to the HDD to HDA from now and on. Now lets prep the HDA. Go to the Shell Konsole that looks like a CMD prompt icon in the Quick Launch menu. Lets get started.
    *type this in the command line.
    cfdisk
    * Your HDA will come up. If any partitions are in the HDA. Delete them with the options in the cfdisk konsole. Then once done. Select WRITE. This will write your changes to your HDA, making it ready for the Linux install.

*Partitioning the File Systems and Linux Swap Partition.

Type this in the Shell Konsole as is.
    fdisk /dev/hda
    p
    n
    p
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    +128M
    <ENTER>
    n
    p
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    +1024M
    <ENTER>
    n
    p
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    p
    t
    <ENTER>
    p
    w
    <ENTER>
    * If you receive a message saying Kernel still uses BLAH and have BLAH till next Reboot. Simply reboot your PC. and allow it to load Linux once again.
    Open the Shell Konsole once again.

*Now the File Systems Partitions. You have two choices. either use fs.ext3 or reiserfs File Systems. Use the one you preffer.
    Type this in in the Shell Konsole.
    For fs.ext3 | For rieserfs
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1 <ENTER> |mkreiserfs /dev/hda1
    mkswap /dev/hda2 <ENTER> |mkswap /dev/hda2
    swapon /dev/hda2 <ENTER> |swapon /dev/hda2
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda3 <ENTER> |mkreiserfs /dev/hda3
    y <ENTER>

*Now make some Directories
    mkdir /mnt/backtrack <ENTER>
    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/backtrack/ <ENTER>
    mkdir /mnt/backtrack/boot/ <ENTER>
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/ <ENTER>

*Now execute the BT3.kmdr Installer.
    Now Config. The Installer
    Source Should say /mnt/live/mnt/hdc/BT3 <----- This is where the live CD is at, Leave this alone
    Install BackTrack should say /mnt/backtrack
    Write New (Matser Boot Record) MBR should say /dev/hda <----- this is your HDD, they are not followed by any number or partition.
    Install Method Will be REAL <---------------- Make sure its checked.
    Uncheck Restore Original MBR after lilo
    Hit Install.
    Now wait a while because its copying everything from the Live CD to the HDD. Once its done. Reboot your machine, remove the Live CD from the CD/DVD tray. LILO will come up. Hit ENTER and it will load Linux.
    It will prompt you to type in your login name. your login name is root
    the password is toor
    then type startx
    If you wish to switch the login password, Open the Shell Konsole and type in passwd <ENTER> then type in your new password. Then done. Have Fun. Leniux From Ri.

Developer

Please don't post this in my thread. This a a totally separate how to and you should make it perfectly clear that this method uses the "old" bt3beta installer so its a unsupported method by the backtrack team. What I mean is if this goes wrong we may not be able to help.

In the future if you have your own tutorial please create a new thread instead of hijacking a existing one.

I like the tutorial of purehate good to follow but sometimes that method when i try i get kernek panic so i stop using that method........but the toturial of purehate is the i used quite easy to follow.........

think theres a better tutorial found at
    kin.calvin.free.fr/blog/?p=16
    there is also a small file you download to help with a GUI installer works perfect for me

This is simple three step for those who would like to point and click, instead of typing up a storm on the shell konsole. and yes, download the GUI installer from kin.calvin.free.fr/blog/?p=16 thats the installer you will need.

Just burned his ISO

Alright, normally I hold my tongue, but that is not the case this time...if you're using Linux for any extended period of time, then you will be using the shell. Period. Unless you're some kind of stupid script kiddie who's trying to h4x0r someone's box because their girlfriend is cheating on them, etc, etc, etc...you will use the shell. If someone is TEACHING YOU HOW TO USE THE SHELL, rather than having to figure it out on your own, then SIT BACK AND LEARN. However, if you are here for the other reason, then you're in the wrong place kiddieo...just my $.02...

Thanx For the 2 cents. Ill be sure to dump em to /dev/null But, This How To Is For The n00bs, that want to point and click. Unlike you, there are not alot of people that know what the shell is nor how to use it. Ease up and tard yourself down, These is a simple how to for those that dont wanna type up a storm. That Decision of your 2 cents should just go back to ur pocket instead of jumping the gun. But Hey, Thanks for your comment. By the way. Im not a Freakin Script Kiddie. Leniux From Ri.

Developer

Alright this flaming stops now or I will stop it for you.

Just burned his ISO

Hey man, sorry....didn't mean to step on your toes...I wasn't saying that YOU yourself were a script kiddie (hell, if anyone is, it's me) but I was trying to express that the BEST way to truly learn Linux (unless your trying to hack your gf's email, etc...) is by the shell. Like I said, I apologize for not making myself clear...I have a bad habit of doing that...especially with my wife, but that's another story for another time ;-)

Default the old kdmr please help

i have downloaded the script as it is and has extension .kmdr im hoping i can figure it out. its a script right? how do i use it? i thought at first it was a tar.gz executable. but i can't seem to figure it out.

i really want to get bt3 final installed onto hdd with minimal hassel.
    so if anyone can tell me how to use / load the installer that'd be great. i have the installer in my e-mail so when i load bt3 live cd i can just get it from there as .kdmr

thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by Leniux View Post
    Follow these steps, I made them and so far they worked for me. Simple and easy way to install BT3 Final to your hard drive. This is not for dual boot.
    NOTE
    **** This "How To" Will Wipe Out Everything From Your HDD*************
    Also, Just to make this clear. This is completely diffrent from "pureh@te's way of installing to HDD. This Method also uses the old BT3 Beta Installer.
    *This method so far has worked completely fine for my, I have it on 3 PC's 2 laptops and 2 USB's.

If you have a spare HDD, I would suggest to use that one. Unplug the power supply to your Windows HDD and ONLY leave power to the spare HDD. This way if you get confused or mistakenly format the wrong HDD. Just to make sure you do not wipe out your Windows OS.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Once you have Downloaded th Live CD .ISO from the Web Site.
    And have Downloaded the Installer from FileWiz. ----> Dang thang wont let me post URLS cause I havent made 15 post's Grrrrrrr!Or Download the Installer from kin.calvin.free.fr/blog/?p=16 (i recommend saving the installer to a USB thumb drive)
    Burn the .ISO. Reboot your PC. If your BIOS has not been set to Boot from CD/DVD Rom, Please Config. it, to do so by invoking your BIOS by hitting either F2 or DEL on your keyboard as soon as your PC turns on. Once you have set your settings, Save and Exit the BIOS. Your PC will start up again. This time with the Linux BackTrack3 Live CD .ISO in the CD/DVD tray. You machine will then start Loading BT3 ONLY as a LIVE CD from the disc.
    Once it is Loaded. It will run like an OS, but from the CD/DVD tray. You will not be able to open the disc tray while the BT3 CD is running.
    Insert the USB stick or what ever medium you have saved the BT3.kmdr you Downloaded form FileWiz. Browse and open the Directory in which the BT3.kmdr is located. DO NOT EXECUTE THE BT3.kmdr YET!!! Now for the Partioning of your HDD.

*Preping Your HDA.
    If you had a Windows OS and/or saved Data to the spare HDD, Then there will be Partitions you will have to Delete. I will now be reffering to the HDD to HDA from now and on. Now lets prep the HDA. Go to the Shell Konsole that looks like a CMD prompt icon in the Quick Launch menu. Lets get started.
    *type this in the command line.
    cfdisk
    * Your HDA will come up. If any partitions are in the HDA. Delete them with the options in the cfdisk konsole. Then once done. Select WRITE. This will write your changes to your HDA, making it ready for the Linux install.

*Partitioning the File Systems and Linux Swap Partition.

Type this in the Shell Konsole as is.
    fdisk /dev/hda
    p
    n
    p
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    +128M
    <ENTER>
    n
    p
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    +1024M
    <ENTER>
    n
    p
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    <ENTER>
    p
    t
    <ENTER>
    p
    w
    <ENTER>
    * If you receive a message saying Kernel still uses BLAH and have BLAH till next Reboot. Simply reboot your PC. and allow it to load Linux once again.
    Open the Shell Konsole once again.

*Now the File Systems Partitions. You have two choices. either use fs.ext3 or reiserfs File Systems. Use the one you preffer.
    Type this in in the Shell Konsole.
    For fs.ext3 | For rieserfs
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1 <ENTER> |mkreiserfs /dev/hda1
    mkswap /dev/hda2 <ENTER> |mkswap /dev/hda2
    swapon /dev/hda2 <ENTER> |swapon /dev/hda2
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda3 <ENTER> |mkreiserfs /dev/hda3
    y <ENTER>

*Now make some Directories
    mkdir /mnt/backtrack <ENTER>
    mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/backtrack/ <ENTER>
    mkdir /mnt/backtrack/boot/ <ENTER>
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/backtrack/boot/ <ENTER>

*Now execute the BT3.kmdr Installer.
    Now Config. The Installer
    Source Should say /mnt/live/mnt/hdc/BT3 <----- This is where the live CD is at, Leave this alone
    Install BackTrack should say /mnt/backtrack
    Write New (Matser Boot Record) MBR should say /dev/hda <----- this is your HDD, they are not followed by any number or partition.
    Install Method Will be REAL <---------------- Make sure its checked.
    Uncheck Restore Original MBR after lilo
    Hit Install.
    Now wait a while because its copying everything from the Live CD to the HDD. Once its done. Reboot your machine, remove the Live CD from the CD/DVD tray. LILO will come up. Hit ENTER and it will load Linux.
    It will prompt you to type in your login name. your login name is root
    the password is toor
    then type startx
    If you wish to switch the login password, Open the Shell Konsole and type in passwd <ENTER> then type in your new password. Then done. Have Fun. Leniux From Ri.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast