Thread: Not sure if my WiFi is working...

Hybrid View

Default Not sure if my WiFi is working...

Hello there, another newbie here.

I am not sure what's going on here, I did a `iwconfig`, I were able to see rausb0, my USB WiFi adaptor, I then also did a `iwlist rausb0 scanning`, no result.

I also attempted to put it into monitor mode by using airmon-ng, and attempt to do a airodump to see if it picks up anything, no result neither.

The same USB dongle worked on my Mac, where I were able to pick up the SSID's of my own 2 APs, and lots other SSID from AP in the surrounding area.

Do I need to load a kernel module or something? It seems BT have the driver for it already... the chipset is Ralink, and it is listed in `lsusb`.

I have a feeling that I have missed something obvious, as I am new to BT... it would be great if you can shred some light to this, thanks.

yep you are missing

ifconfig
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Well...

ifconfig gave me eth0, and lo

iwconfig had eth0, rausb0, and lo. Only rausb0 has "wireless extension".

Is rausb0 suppose to appear in ifconfig? I just thought that iwconfig handles it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    Do I need to load a kernel module or something? It seems BT have the driver for it already... the chipset is Ralink, and it is listed in `lsusb`.
    Without knowing which wireless card/model that you are actually using it is hard to tell. When you know the what card that you have do a search on the forum using that as the search term and you will most likely find the solution to your problem, or at the very least information whether it is supported or not.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

It is a Linksys WUSB54GR based from either the RT2501USB or RT2601USB chipsets from Ralink. From dmesg under BT3 it seem to be run by the rt73 driver.

Since this post is moderated I probably have done a search on this by the time you see this.

Ahh got it, need to boot up BT first, log in, THEN plug in the USB.

Lesson learnt, always for the forums.

Thanks.