Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lilo error when installing to HDD.

Just burned his ISO

Default lilo error when installing to HDD.

I have tried searching the forums, and am just having no luck. So I thought I would post. I've got vista installed on sda1 and bt3 installed on sda2.

I am getting an error when I run lilo -v.
    Code:
    Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
    Fatal: creat /boot/map~: No such file or directory
    lilo.conf
    Code:
    # LILO configuration file
    lba32
    boot = /dev/sda
    prompt
    timeout = 60
    change-rules
    reset
    vga = 791

# Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Vista
    table = /dev/sda
    # Windows bootable partition config ends

# Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda2
    label = Backtrack3
    # Linux bootable partition config ends
    I'm clueless... I appreciate any help I can get.

can you post your partition in HDD.........

Developer

The most common user error in this situation is that you are not in a chroot enviorment.

Just burned his ISO

well... I was following the directions for installing, that is in the thread that you created pureh@te.

I cannot get on my laptop (which is what the issue is on) at the moment as I messed up the boot rechord... (long story short, I had ubuntu installed with grub, mistakenly deleted the partition and now vista nor bt3 will boot)

anyways

sda1 - windows
    sda2 - bt3
    sda3 - windows backup (hp laptop... sucks)
    sda4 - linux swap

Developer

You didnt answer my question at all so I cant see how I can help.

Just burned his ISO

umm... if you were asking if I was in chroot, the answer was yes... I didn't really see any question in your post.

Developer

Look the way to get help from me is to formulate your question in a proper way giving as much info as possible. like this...

I was following this tut and I did steps A,B and C but when I got to D I had this error.

I have no way of knowing what or where you went wrong because you gave no information as to what you did. The tutorial has worked for hundreds if not thousands of people so I can only assume user error.

Just burned his ISO

I have no problems with the tutorial, and I wasn't trying to say anything, I just didn't know you were asking me anything.

I followed the tutorial and everything was fine, until I went to run lilo -v.
    at that point I got the error message. I did change the lilo.conf file to include vista, however everything else is done as in the tutorial.

I installed it on my other computer, without any problems. I didn't do anything different this time, yet I'm getting this error.

Edit. I just decided to completely re-install and it worked.

Just burned his ISO

I get the same error. And i think it may be theproblem. But if you say it's the chroot environment.

chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash

comes out with an error for me too saying bin/bash does't exist or something. I forget. But it comes out with an error when i execute that command. So i just ignore and go on with the lilo config. And on the bt3final, is there a gui installer?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Ixeman View Post
    I get the same error. And i think it may be theproblem. But if you say it's the chroot environment.

chroot /mnt/backtrack/ /bin/bash

comes out with an error for me too saying bin/bash does't exist or something. I forget. But it comes out with an error when i execute that command. So i just ignore and go on with the lilo config. And on the bt3final, is there a gui installer?
    Its most likely a path issue or some other sort of bash enviorment variable which has been altered. I would just start over and be sure to follow the directions to the letter.

NO there is no installer for bt3. That must be posted in this forum at least 1000 times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast