Thread: Restricting slapt-get downloads based on package size.

Default Restricting slapt-get downloads based on package size.

The question's in the title!

Does anyone have any advice on how to restrict what packages slapt-get downloads and installs, based on their package size.

I ask because doing "slapt-get --dist-upgrade" presents me with a list of <em>many</em> packages that need upgrading. Some are +10mb and these take aaaages to download.

So i'd like to download all the smalller packages first, then once thats done download the big-phat-momma packages.

Thanks

+10MB takes ages?! what are you on Dial-up?! ha ha ha!!
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Default nearly

Quote Originally Posted by Shavx View Post
    +10MB takes ages?! what are you on Dial-up?! ha ha ha!!
    Well... despite the sarcasm, you actually have a relatively good point.

I am on broadband, but even though that is the case, downloading takes a long time. Much longer than I would have expected on broadband. I always assumed it was the download servers that were throttling the individual download speed. Perhaps not? Maybe it is my backtrack installation?

Quote Originally Posted by mcai8rw2 View Post
    Well... despite the sarcasm, you actually have a relatively good point.

I am on broadband, but even though that is the case, downloading takes a long time. Much longer than I would have expected on broadband. I always assumed it was the download servers that were throttling the individual download speed. Perhaps not? Maybe it is my backtrack installation?
    First I would try changing your repository's in your slapt-get.rc to something closer to your location any slackware 12.1 repo will work you can also edit the rc file to exclude specific packages.

Default Darkstar seems good

Quote Originally Posted by wick86 View Post
    First I would try changing your repository's in your slapt-get.rc to something closer to your location any slackware 12.1 repo will work you can also edit the rc file to exclude specific packages.
    Thanks for the tip. I edited my SOURCE= file so that ONLY the darkstar server was there... it has speeded up loads.

So it looks like jaos, and the other one (?) restrict the download speed.

Thanks again.