Thread: USB won't boot

Just burned his ISO

Default USB won't boot

I did search this common question and didn't find a solution.

1.) I formatted my 4GB(3.78GB) flash drive in windows with file system FAT32.
    2.) I went to BT3 for USB and dragged over BT3 & boot to the main directory of my flash drive.
    3.) I went to command and cd to the flash drive boot folder.
    4.) I ran bootinst.bat

So I assume the USB flash is set-up correctly.

The motherboard is a Epia EN12000EG. In the bios there are USB-FDD, USB-ZIP and USB-CDROM boot device options. The bios also has a hard disk boot priority menu but I don't see my flash drive in there. I have tried all 4 USBs on the back I/O. The motherboard has a VIA C7 processor and was released on the market 2 years ago. It should have USB boot capabilities.

Does the USB stick come with U3 or any similar function? If so, this will need to be uninstalled for it to be bootable.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Well in step 1 I format the flash with FAT32.

In my experience, flash drives with U3 say it somewhere on the case. My flash doesn't say anything on the case if the format utility somehow preserves it.

Anyways this is my flash drive DT100/4GB (xxx.kingston.com/flash/dt100.asp). I picked up two on woot for $20 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by bluruld View Post
    Well in step 1 I format the flash with FAT32.

In my experience, flash drives with U3 say it somewhere on the case. My flash doesn't say anything on the case if the format utility somehow preserves it.

Anyways this is my flash drive DT100/4GB (xxx.kingston.com/flash/dt100.asp). I picked up two on woot for $20 shipped.
    Yes I noticed that step, however simply formatting the data partition of a U3 equipped USB drive will not remove this feature. However, as you say, this specific model does not ship with U3.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.