Having finally managed to upgrade my kernel to version 2.6.27.7 i now have support for all the nifty new hardware in my centrino 2 based laptop. All the intel goodies are running as per specification it seems. However, wireless injection (not in the spec) isn't working.

In the process of trying to set up hardware support for my laptop i tried using 2.6.28-rc6 (failed miserably) and ended up settling on the stable release from kernel.org. However, with both sets of kernel sources, and compat-wireless drivers, i'm having problems applying the diff patches posted online some time ago to enable monitor mode and injection on these cards. I keep getting the same error and i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong:

patch -p0 <patch_iwl-agn
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --git a/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c b/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
|index c3b1789..1547122 100644 (file)
|--- a/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
|+++ b/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
--------------------------
File to patch: drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
patching file drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
Hunk #1 FAILED at 2730.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c.rej
Here's the actual diff patch itself:
diff --git a/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c b/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
index c3b1789..1547122 100644 (file)
--- a/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
+++ b/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-agn.c
@@ -2730,12 +2730,6 @@ static int iwl4965_mac_tx(struct ieee80211_hw *hw, struct sk_buff *skb)

IWL_DEBUG_MACDUMP("enter\n");

- if (priv->iw_mode == IEEE80211_IF_TYPE_MNTR) {
- IWL_DEBUG_MAC80211("leave - monitor\n");
- dev_kfree_skb_any(skb);
- return 0;
- }
-
IWL_DEBUG_TX("dev->xmit(%d bytes) at rate 0x%02x\n", skb->len,
ieee80211_get_tx_rate(hw, IEEE80211_SKB_CB(skb))->bitrate);
Diff patching is new to me and from what i understand of it from my long lost life as a programmer its an offset based data injector. This would mean that whitespace/invisible data would affect the patch.

Could someone with a better understanding of this take a look and give me a fresh perspective on this? Thanks.

The info regarding the patches can be found here or by searching google for Wi-Fi 5100 injection.

anyone have any luck with this, or found another way/driver to enable monitor mode and injection? Thanks