Thread: Segmentation fault question

Default Segmentation fault question

Hello everyone, I am shure people will yell at me and stuff for asking a question but I tried to search this and found nothing. What can I do to prevent the "Segmentation fault" error when running aircrack-ng?

Thanks

This could be my issue. I guess I will stop the other things and try it.
    The aircrack-ng executable crashes with segmentation fault if run on a computer with less than 64MB available virtual memory.

The cause is an unprotected malloc() call followed immediately by a function to initialize the memory. It's supposed to be an array of IVs. Search for (256*256*256) (perhaps with spaces) in the source.

By the way, is it really necessary to allocate 64 MB of RAM for eg. printing help?

Sorry for being vague, but I'm glad I finally compiled it. You can imagine how long it took me to compile it some 4 times on a computer that old :-) Even if the computer is too weak for actual cracking, I use it for scanning and collection of data, so the aircrack-ng suite comes very handy.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upsman View Post
    The aircrack-ng executable crashes with segmentation fault if run on a computer with less than 64MB available virtual memory. the cause is an unprotected malloc() call followed immediately by a function to initialize the memory.
    Oh... sweet... Jesus

By the way, is it really necessary to allocate 64 MB of RAM for eg. printing help?
    I was getting antsy about wasting 80 kilobytes of memory for my Internet Prober program to store all the IP addresses and MAC addresses.

Sorry for being vague, but I'm glad I finally compiled it.
    You were crystal clear
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Default This worked

I rebooted, Just ran Aircrack-ng and it worked fine. It is definatly that memory allocation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Oh... sweet... Jesus

I was getting antsy about wasting 80 kilobytes of memory for my Internet Prober program to store all the IP addresses and MAC addresses.

You were crystal clear

BTW I copied and pasted that.... I actually dident have a print question or even ask if I was clear. Anyway This was the issue and a reboot fixed the issue, So I hope this thread helps someone someday