Thread: The Era of Diversion

Hybrid View

Exclamation The Era of Diversion

I was just under the impression that

General IT Discussion (10 Viewing)
    Non BT Related Topics
    ..meant, in English, what it said.

So, Someone had suggested that this *was* in fact a competition type of disagreement, but i brushed it off as i thought that since the distro's were totally FREE OF CHARGE that there shouldn't be "competition" in a free and open source society. Thanks for clearing that up as I have NOT received ANY private messages for any parrots or other moderators at all.

Free and Open Source Software will be the foundation of my heart forever, no matter what a forum moderator may think; everyone has a chance. My contribution to those in the Computer Security interest being denied by said single parrot moderator does not have to stop anyone from going to my site and using the software for free. And I hope that this does not discourage people from contributing there work in the future to more open minded forums/communities.

The "Apples to Microsoft" analogy would have been suitable, ONLY if we were selling our products. In my mind Apple and Microsoft would only benefit by joining each other. And you, hating Windows so much, i figured would have given windows part 2 (OSX) a better chance and liked it more.

So with that said in the "MORAL" part of "ADVERTISING" we can all agree that Apple bashes Microsoft more than anything.

Once again, thanks for the shitty public reply. I haven't received any private messages from you. Here's proof:

11-19-2008 Video Disk
    05:55 PM masteroc

11-04-2008 Re: assistant 0.9.6
    01:07 PM fastboi
    You won't have to worry about me "SPAMMING" you with FREE things anymore. My contributions hold no value, of course, so i shall leave and won't come back.

but cactus might.

Developer

Allow me to reply:
    You have been a valuable member to the community and your teams posts and tools are helpful to many however what balding parrot is trying to say is true. I would be willing to bet ( and feel free to test this) That if you go to another security distros form and try to advertise your distro it will probably not go so well. If I were you, instead of making my own distro I would have submitted my tools for consideration with bt4 (which you can still do if you want to contact me via PM). What you're doing is saying backtrack is not good enough so I built my own. I just went through this with another member who wanted to build a Backtrack "ubuntu" version. Its just considered bad form or etiquette to advertise your security distro on this site. I hope you will not leave our community due to this trivial matter.

Also just to reply to the apple/microsoft analogy, it is sort of the same because the offensive-security courses are a business that some people who run it make their living from. When people become interested in backtrack we direct them to the offsec courses to learn how to use this powerful tool so in some way, yes you are competition.

Our purpose is to create choices for people.

Even if that means learning a lot about computer security in the meantime.

I am not competing, i never once gave an opinion on MY or YOUR distros that would imply that one was better than the other in my posts, save for the "fun" adjective. BackTrack is a beautiful thing, and i have met lots of awesome people here, even a few long term friends. I just wanted contribute in a "wholesome" way, by creating an environment.

thanks and goodbye.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by trevelyn View Post
    Our purpose is to create choices for people.

Even if that means learning a lot about computer security in the meantime.

I am not competing, i never once gave an opinion on MY or YOUR distros that would imply that one was better than the other in my posts, save for the "fun" adjective. BackTrack is a beautiful thing, and i have met lots of awesome people here, even a few long term friends. I just wanted contribute in a "wholesome" way, by creating an environment.

thanks and goodbye.
    Well I tried to be nice but feel free to do as you please.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

An online community or forum must have a "base" upon which it is based. The base is what unites the community, it's what the people share a common interest in. For instance, the base of "comp.lang.c++" is "The C++ Programming Language". The base of "comp.lang.java" is "The Java Programming Language".

You can go to a C++ forum and argue til the cows come home about which cross-platform library is best for GUI programs, but you can't go there to argue about using Java instead of C++. There's a premise to using that forum, the premise being that you must program in C++. (After all, if you wanted to program in Java, you'd go to a Java forum).

The "Remote Exploit" fora are based on the Linux distribution known as "Backtrack". That's what we use, that's what we discuss.

Backtrack presents itself as a distro that is to be used as a LiveCD for penetration testing. If it were to be used as a fully-fledged distro for typing up documents, playing movies, etc., then I wouldn't get away with praising Xubuntu here, reason being that I would be praising something that is "an alternative to the base". But of course, the base is king, you have to go elsewhere if you want a different base.

The problem with your proposal is that you're advertising/promoting/praising something that serves as an alternative to the base, and that's tantamount to going to a C++ forum to tell everybody how great Java is. But see, the base is not open for debate, the base is the best and that's the end of the discussion. Conversation that negatively criticises the base will regularly be met with flames.

If I wanted to promote Java over C++, I'd have to bring the "base" to a lower layer, I'd have to go to "comp.lang". Another option would be to go to comp.lang.java, but there's not much point because the community there have already been convinced that Java is preferable over C++.

So, if you want to promote your own pentesting distro to be used as a LiveCD, then I'd say make your own forum for it, or go to a lower layer forum such as "Linux Security Distro Forum".

By the way, money has nothing to do with this.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".