Thread: PXE booting Backtrack 4

Just burned his ISO

Default PXE booting Backtrack 4

Hi,

I am going to assume that you have a working dhcp and tftp server, that is already pxe booting something, if not there are many guides on the net to explain how to do these things. I used Debian Lenny with tftpd-hpa, so I will be focusing on these but it should be easy enough to adapt to any other distribution.

You will only need the bt4-final.iso file, mount it and copy the whole contents into a directory called bt4 in your PXE root.

Code:
    mount -t iso9660 -o loop bt4-final.iso /mnt
    mkdir -p [PXEROOT]/bt4
    cp -r /mnt/* [PXEROOT]/bt4/
    Look through [PXEROOT]/bt4/boot/grub/menu.lst and decide which one you want to boot, you can boot all of them you will just need to create multiple entries in the next step. I chose the following:

Code:
    title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
    kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
    initrd                /boot/initrd.gz
    I am asuming that you have a working PXE boot server already so you should have the file [PXEROOT]/pxelinux.cfg/default, in which case just add the following lines:

Code:
    LABEL bt4
            KERNEL bt4/boot/vmlinuz
            APPEND initrd=bt4/boot/initrd.gz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317 netboot=nfs nfsroot=[SERVERIP]:[PXEROOT]/bt4
    Here is an example full [PXEROOT]/pxelinux.cfg/default file that only boots bt4:

Code:
    TIMEOUT 100
    DEFAULT bt4
    PROMPT 1
    DISPLAY /isolinux.msg
    LABEL bt4
            KERNEL bt4/boot/vmlinuz
            APPEND initrd=bt4/boot/initrd.gz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317 netboot=nfs nfsroot=[SERVERIP]:[PXEROOT]/bt4
    The main thing to note here is we are only appending 'netboot=nfs nfsroot=[SERVERIP]:[PXEROOT]/bt4' to the original line in the grub configuration. Create the file [PXEROOT]/isolinux.msg and put something like 'type bt4 to boot Backtrack 4 Final' in it.

Now on Debian type the following command to install nfs, if you are using a different distribution google will be able to tell you how to install nfs:

Code:
    apt-get install nfs-common nfs-kernel-server portmap
    Edit /etc/exports and add the line:

Code:
    [PXEROOT]/bt4   [LOCALSUBNET](sync,no_root_squash,ro,no_subtree_check)
    You can restrict it to a certain IP but I used the whole subnet for convenience. Lastly type 'exportfs -a' and you should be ready to go! Just boot up a pc, boot from the network card, type bt4 at the prompt and alas bt4 over the network!

Happy Hacking!

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: PXE booting Backtrack 4

Thanks, this works for me! But there is one little thing to note:
    in /etc/exports you might hat to add the parameter "insecure", which just makes nfsd listen on a non-common port, then the line should look like this:
    Code:
    [PXEROOT]/bt4 192.168.0.0/24(sync,insecure,no_root_squash,ro,no_subtree_check)
    after that, if you haven't already:
    Code:
    exportfs -a
    /etc/init.d/portmap restart
    [EDIT]
    There seems to be an issue with the backtrack kernel, squashfs v4.0.0 or nfs on Backtrack 4 final.
    I tried to boot BT4f over PXE with the same options as above, exept "persistent" instead of "nopersistent". The kernel keeps reporting "end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0" after squashfs comes up, which seems to be well known since squashfs v3.x. My box has no floppy drive. If someone has a solution for this, please post it here!
    Last edited by bong0; 03-07-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo

Just burned his ISO

Hi,
    First of all thanks for the tutorial. However, I am having an issue exporting the BT4 directory.
    So far, have a DHCP and TFTP running on BT4.
    Have edited the /etc/exports file, and saved the configuration.
    When executing
    Code:
    exportfs -a
    I receive the following error message
    Code:
    exportfs: Warning: /tftpboot/bt4 does not support NFS export
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Just burned his ISO

Is there any way to get persistent changes working by using the nfs server as the storage location? I've tried using changes={nfs}:/{dir}, but to no avail. Any ideas? It boots up off the server fine apart from that.