Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No wireless on Macbook Pro 17"

Just burned his ISO

Default No wireless on Macbook Pro 17"

Was really hoping this would be fixed with the BT3 Final release (or its already working and Im just retarded).

Ive got the most recent Macbook Pro (Late Feb 08) release...17" model (custom built...shouldnt make a difference though)

Ive had no luck using this with BT3...it just plain doesnt see the wireless device if I run iwconfig

Now, Im fairly new to linux....well...Ive been using it for years...just never in the console - just basic use...mainly to run graphics programs.

The wireless card (as described by System info under OSX) is:

Wireless Card Type: Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.46.7)

So...any advice on how I can get this working?

Just burned his ISO

....Anybody?

surely someone else in here has the same machine I do =\

Quote Originally Posted by Aternian View Post
    ....Anybody?

surely someone else in here has the same machine I do =\
    Most people wouldn't waste their money on a 17" MacBookPro(or Air). Unfortunately Mac folks are a minority. Mac folks using BackTrack are even more scarce. I'd check around on other linux forums to see if they got the wireless card working. You're most likely only going to get it to work with a ndis driver, which is useless for anything but web browsing with BackTrack.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Guess Im buying an EEE-PC again then

Bugger

Ah well, cheers.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Most people wouldn't waste their money on a 17" MacBookPro(or Air). Unfortunately Mac folks are a minority. Mac folks using BackTrack are even more scarce. I'd check around on other linux forums to see if they got the wireless card working. You're most likely only going to get it to work with a ndis driver, which is useless for anything but web browsing with BackTrack.
    Hey I have 2 17" macbook pros and they both tripple boot, and know plenty of people with macbooks running linux, myself included.

Mine both have ar5008 atheros cards, which work great.

For the broadcom driver, you're probably going to need to update the kernel to ~2.6.23 or higher, so that you can install the compat-wireless wireless drive modules. If you use a kernel before 2.6.26, make sure to get compat-wireless-old, if you use an up to date kernel then the regular one is for you. Look for the subversion snapshots.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Aternian View Post
    Was really hoping this would be fixed with the BT3 Final release (or its already working and Im just retarded).

Ive got the most recent Macbook Pro (Late Feb 08) release...17" model (custom built...shouldnt make a difference though)

Ive had no luck using this with BT3...it just plain doesnt see the wireless device if I run iwconfig

Now, Im fairly new to linux....well...Ive been using it for years...just never in the console - just basic use...mainly to run graphics programs.

The wireless card (as described by System info under OSX) is:

Wireless Card Type: Airport Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.46.7)

So...any advice on how I can get this working?
    That isn't useful at all, broadcom produces many bcm43xx devices so you have to boot up linux and paste a proper lspci output.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Broadcom 4311 rev 2

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    That isn't useful at all, broadcom produces many bcm43xx devices so you have to boot up linux and paste a proper lspci output.
    I have the same problem...I know for a fact my card is the Broadcom 4311 Rev 2 on a Compaq Presario F500 (got the info from windows...I know, I know...) but I have confirmed it with several other sources...for instance, here is the lspci output

Code:
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
    00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
    00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
    00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
    00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
    00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
    00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI-X GeForce Go 6100 (rev a2)
    00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
    00:0a.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PMU (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev f1)
    00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    <b>03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 02)</b>
    I'm having to compile a new kernel for this...I'm using the latest stable one (2.6.27.7) with the config file from the old kernel (2.6.21.5)...and modifying it to include the broadcom drivers for the 4311 rev 2...I found out that the version to be able to use the rev 2 was 2.6.24 (according to linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#supported) so...I guess, if this doesn't work, then I'll try the other 2.6.24 kernel with the patch...is there something I might be missing here guys, or am I just shooting in the dark? Thanks!

Just swap out the card if you can, its alot easier than messing with drivers.
    the Atheros AR5008 works according to:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=13324

and you can find the location for the broadcom native linux drivers in this thread:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...+mini+9&page=3
    Become the change you seek in the world. - Gandhi
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein
    Don't judge the unknown - Grindordie

Quote Originally Posted by NoobBiscUiT View Post
    Just swap out the card if you can, its alot easier than messing with drivers.
    the Atheros AR5008 works according to:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=13324

and you can find the location for the broadcom native linux drivers in this thread:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...+mini+9&page=3
    Well since we're talking about a Mac, there aren't many third party internal wifi cards that are compatible.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Well, I'm not on a mac, so I may have jumped on the wrong thread here, and if so I apologize, but I was able to get the drivers working on my compaq with the help of the actual drivers from the broadcom website and the readme file on the same site...thanks so much for the help in pointing me in the right direction. It's really simple, now that I think about it, but I think that's why I didn't think about it in the first place, heh. BTW, Aternian, if you Google for Broadcom mac 802.11 drivers site:broadcom.com, you might find something you're looking for. That's how I found the drivers that I'm using now to help me out. Now on to seeing if I can get WPA_supplicant working...then on to the cracking my wireless...wish me luck. Thanks again!

-Decision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast