Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Vista run ettercap?

Default Can Vista run ettercap?

After running the program, I go to sniff --> "Unified Sniffing..." , select my driver then it crashes!
    Its fine in BT3 for me, Its fine in XP, just not vista!

Has anyone else found this out?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by some1 View Post
    After running the program, I go to sniff --> "Unified Sniffing..." , select my driver then it crashes!

That is the most crap OS ever made by crap MS.ask this problem in vista or ettercap forum.

Based on the information given on http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/ the only Windows platforms that are officially supported are Windows 2000/XP/2003, not Vista in other words. However I have heard of people successfully running ettercap under Vista as well, but since this question is in no way related to BT or even Linux you will probably be better off asking this question in an ettercap or Windows forum instead, as secure_it says.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Vista is damn crap OS with little or no compatibilty with most of tools.I tried with netstumbler,Wildpackets Airopeek,aircrack-ng suite,airsnort but that useless OS is not able to run any of tools.better to stick with BT3.father of all pen-testing distros out there.

Thanks for your replys,
    I know vista is bad (but its my business laptop, and im not allow to dual boot (but I can install software --- Im running BT3 in vmware, or boot from USB ))
    I went to ask in the ettercap forum, but looks dead, not much action!
    I didnt know any other forums/sites to ask, expect for here! (yes I did try googling!)
    Yes I saw vista hasnt been added to the homepage (when did they last update it??!)

@=Tron=
    Can you share any links?

Thanks!

@=Tron=
    Can you share any links?

Thanks!
    I'm afraid that I do not have any helpful links for this problem at hand. I simply recall reading a couple of threads and posts where people have mentioned that they are running ettercap under vista. However, as far as I recall none mentioned anything about how they had set it up or if there was any tweaks or additional steps needed in order for it to work. Perhaps all that is needed is to run it under compatibility mode.

Still as vista is not listed as a supported OS I would give you the advice to simply run it on BT3 instead, either as a guest OS under WMvare or better yet a live CD/DVD.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

BT3 is designed as a live cd for just this reason. Nothing needs to be installed and the host computer is not affected in anyway by running the live disk.

ok guys!
    I will just uninstall it, and stick to it in BT3 :P

Just burned his ISO

Default Vista does run ettercap

While I agree, Vista is absolute crap, I do find on occasion(rare) it is more convenient to just use the OS since it is installed on a company laptop. There are situations where I don't always have the time or leeway to boot into BT3/4. But to answer the question, it works fine if you do a couple things first:

1.)You have to disable DEP(Data Execution Prevention) either for that program or globally.(it tends to get in the way if you ask me.)

2.)Whichever interface you choose to use ettercap-ng with, either wireless or your standard ethernet, you need to disable(uncheck the box) IPv6 TCP/IP for that adapter.

After you do that, and you might be able to get away with just #2 in the process. Ettercap will run w/o any complaints.

**** Vista and its TCP/IP stack.

Hope this is helpful.

I'll just use Cain & Abel if I must use windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast