Thread: BT on larger USBs

Just burned his ISO

Default BT on larger USBs

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but I've installed BT on a 1gb usb... if I were to install on a larger USB i.e. 64gb is that going to give me more space inside BT to install additional programs / files onto it? If so do I have to modify BT to include the additional space?

Depends how big you want your changes.lzm file to be. Personally, I wouldn't try and load a file bigger than your ram size.

Just burned his ISO

So am I right in thinking that for BT USB, people generally leave it as is... maybe modify it a bit just to get certain aspects i.e. like wifi working, if it didn't work out of the box with their hardware or whatever...

Is it not the norm to use like a normal disk installed OS? Should I be thinking of it more like a tool?

I've found a forum that has info about adding an ext2 partition to the usb to save changes. Is this advisable? or should I been looking at installing it as a VM or onto HD if I want to use it as more of an OS.

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Hi,

This is probably a stupid question but I've installed BT on a 1gb usb... if I were to install on a larger USB i.e. 64gb is that going to give me more space inside BT to install additional programs / files onto it? If so do I have to modify BT to include the additional space?

So am I right in thinking that for BT USB, people generally leave it as is... maybe modify it a bit just to get certain aspects i.e. like wifi working, if it didn't work out of the box with their hardware or whatever...

Is it not the norm to use like a normal disk installed OS? Should I be thinking of it more like a tool?

I've found a forum that has info about adding an ext2 partition to the usb to save changes. Is this advisable? or should I been looking at installing it as a VM or onto HD if I want to use it as more of an OS.
    It depends on what you are doing. For light work a live install with persistent changes is good enough. By light work I mean using BT a couple times a month and not adding many programs. I teach a course and the students use BT3 on usb with persistent changes. For teaching I try to stick with stock BT so persistent changes are enough for my students.

For heavy duty work I will do a real install. If you are going to update to slackware 12.1, john-1.7.31, aircrack-ng, carry large dictionaries, etc a real install is better IMO. This is what I use in class.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yep

The USB stick is a Live stick designed as you say, as a tool, it'll boot on pretty much anything to get it running as such.

The ext2 partition is more for saving documents and capture to. If you update an application or install a new application you have to update the changes.lzm module. If you are looking to make wide scale changes then VM is a better option. HD would the best option in all.

There are plenty of information on this forum to help you achieve what is best for yourself.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks! All my stupid questions answered