Thread: Ralink USB wireless - Unable to connect

Just burned his ISO

Default Ralink USB wireless - Unable to connect

Hello. Okeay first of I must admit that I'm quite the newb at this.
    Anyhow, I'm trying to connect to my router using my Ralink USB device, problem is, I can't connect to the router.
    I have searched around for a while, but all i managed to figure was that I'm supposed to punch in "rausb0" instead of "eth0" aswell as "iwconfig" instead of "ifconfig", because I'm using an USB (right?).
    Do I have to get any drivers or something? or is it just because I'm wandering blindly around the shell?

Any advices? (Which doesn't involve reading up on shell/unix/bash, cause I'm already doing that :P)

- Thanks in advance.

You have alot to learn

iwconfig is a tool for configuring wireless devices for various states apart from turning them on or off. ifconfig on the other hand is mostly for wired devices but can turn wireless devices on or off.

rausb0 is the correct device name for older ralink drivers (you don't want to try ralink's linux drivers as they lack functionality on areas like monitoring/injecting). Depending on the driver used, the device naming would be varied according to that, iwconfig will show you the list of devices and wireless extensions (if any).

Last but not least, there are docs on howto connect wireless networks. Google is your friend.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    You have alot to learn...
    I sure do but thanks for the info.

I ran into: backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless#CNet_CWP-854
    it says the 2500 Ralinks should work out of the box, i have a 2501, so i guess that applies to it as well. I'm still not getting anywhere though. Been looking at guides on how to set up a networks, but I'm not having any luck with it. :/
    All i find is either tutorials on how to connect using dial up or how to turn your linux box into a router.

Any pointers?

Just burned his ISO

same problem. I have a WUSB54GC which has a very similar chipset. I'm running into the same problems in which I cannot connect to my router

Just burned his ISO

Default wusb54gc

if anyone can help out with my prob, that be great, basically i can run my wusb54gc to run in airodump, but it captures packets very very slowly, barely gets about 20 packets per minute, was there a command i basically did not do before this? any help would be appreciated