View Poll Results: What do you think of my idea for a Ubuntu based BackTrack distro?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea! As soon as you release it I'll download it!

7 53.85%
  • Hmm. BackTrack already has everything I need. Stop changing things!

6 46.15%
  • Indifference is a virtue

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BackTrack - Ubuntu Edition - (I am going to create!) - Interested?

I tried doing my own pentest distro once but Vistas UAC kept blocking my apps

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

I don't understand the hostility directed towards this guy. I mean, if he wants to make his own distro, go for it! Will it have the support of Backtrack? No. Will it we as polished and comprehensive? Probably not. This doesn't mean he shouldn't try. Give the guy some support! If he manages to pull this off and his distro is useful, it may influence the future direction of Backtrack (its a stretch, I know). Just my 2 cents, no flames please.

William

William

Why not make it a spin off of RHEL? call it Fedora Hardocre..

P.S.

POLLS ARE FOR POLES
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post
    Why not make it a spin off of RHEL? call it Fedora Hardocre..

P.S.

POLLS ARE FOR POLES
    Hardocre or Hardcore?

The first one could seem to fit.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by williamc View Post
    I don't understand the hostility directed towards this guy. I mean, if he wants to make his own distro, go for it! Will it have the support of Backtrack? No. Will it we as polished and comprehensive? Probably not. This doesn't mean he shouldn't try. Give the guy some support! If he manages to pull this off and his distro is useful, it may influence the future direction of Backtrack (its a stretch, I know). Just my 2 cents, no flames please.

William

William
    I think the hostility is because of previous threads for the most part complaining about things that Backtrack doesn't include.

More power to him if he wants to build his own distro. I just don't think it's gonna happen.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

The hostility from me is because he wants to call it backtrack. If Martin,Max and Muts are not involved its not backtrack. If he wants to build his own distro on a ubuntu platform and add all 300+ tools that are on backtrack and call it ubuntu " pen test edition" or something like that it would be fine. Hes clearly using the backtrack name to further his cause. Then what happens is when his distro has issues it looks bad on the real backtrack team. The first thing that will happen is we will get a flood of itards on this forum looking for support and wondering why something is not supported. Does the original poster have any idea how many custom kernel patches were involved in the backtrack kernel. Another problem is we can not support something that the true backrtrack team did not create on this forum. In my eyes its stealing to use the backtrack name to get people to download your .iso. If he would have opened a thread in general IT and said "hey! I want to make a pentest distro based on ubuntu" That would have been fine.

Once again I would simply get nubuntu and add the gnome desktop and save myself a sh*t ton of work.

Get out of my head Pureh@te

My hostility comes from reading the first 7 words of the OPs initial post. If you have a problem with Back|Track that you cannot solve and wish to publicly slam it means two things: you don't have the desire to grow, as your road to becoming a hacker would oppositely imply, and you don't respect what Muts and the team have done.

If you want to create your own distro the way you see fit and release it to the public by all means do so. No one here will give you flak for that. What we will have issues with is if you tag Back|Track in your distro for any reason, and continue on with the "Back|Track is annoying so use this" mentality. Don't do it, for your own good don't do it. Please, don't take that as a threat in any way, shape or form. Take it from a hacker with experience well beyond yours that it will not end well.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck should you decide to create your distro. If you should decide otherwise, take what you have (hopefully) learned here and apply it. Giving up and taking the "easy" way out is not the way to better yourself. If it takes you months until you finally figure out your issue, so be it. At the very least it will show everyone else you had the perserverence and dedication to solve your own problems plus the added satisfaction and valuable knowledge/skill-set it takes to do the same.

Out.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by Panarchy View Post
    .........Although, thanks to this Offensive Security was created... and I wish them all the best with it (I might even take the course sometime in the future). But that would probably give them at least enough money to pay off the site and hosting. Probably even give them enough to pay off the man-hours it took to create this distro..............
    This continuous attitude problem is unwelcome around here thanks.
    If you have no respect for this community, then don't hang around here.

I've seen many of these threads come and go - "I'm gonna make my own but better" - "come and join us cool dudes doing our own *better* thing" etc, etc.

It's boring and a little bit sad.

I think it's poignant to point out just how many times we actually see anything along the lines of "I *have* made something better/as good; here it is"

As already pointed out - whatever your dreams are, they will not result in any form of "BackTrack <insert distro here> Edition"
    Go and think up your own name, start from scratch, using your own resources (also as already pointed out)
    Maybe then you'd have your own website/forum to troll

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123