View Poll Results: What do you think of my idea for a Ubuntu based BackTrack distro?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea! As soon as you release it I'll download it!

7 53.85%
  • Hmm. BackTrack already has everything I need. Stop changing things!

6 46.15%
  • Indifference is a virtue

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack - Ubuntu Edition - (I am going to create!) - Interested?

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    Having used Helix Live cd's (based on ubuntu 8.04) let me just say i can't thing of anything worse than a Ubuntu based Backtrack.

Helix has a tiny selection of the tools available in backtrack, and yet it is still slow as hell! Startup time for a ubuntu based system is AGES compared to the Slax base used just now.

Also that horrible fake tan orange/brown colour scheme of ubuntu make me want to slash my wrists in eye-pain! Ubuntu is now getting like windows, too much faff and not great on older equipment.

TT
    Could have been worse, he could have chosen Mandriva

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    Could have been worse, he could have chosen Mandriva
    I was thinking more like RedHat.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Lightbulb

Go for it a spore a whole new generation of pentesters that don't actually know what there doing.
    If you learned to fix your problems you have with X11 and updating the kernel you wouldn't have jump on your soap box and tell us all that this Slackware based distro isn't good enough for you.
    I never said Slackware isn't good enough for me. OPHCrack works fine. I like OPHCrack. SLAX is alright by me! What were we talking about again?

Hmm... well I don't want to spawn to much competition!
    Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Talkie Toaster View Post
    Also that horrible fake tan orange/brown colour scheme of ubuntu make me want to slash my wrists in eye-pain! Ubuntu is now getting like windows, too much faff and not great on older equipment.

TT
    I'd have you know that orange is my favourite colour.

Well more of a tangerine/tangelo, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I would just like to make a few statements before I most likely delete this thread.

1) I will not tolerate any sort of backtrack hybrid imitation distro being posted on this site.

2) You are not the first to try this and the members of the development team were very opposed to this type of thing being done. The very least you could do in your egotistical quest to make your "own" distro would be to respect the people that work thousands of hours for free on this thing and receive a minimal amount in donations.

3) you have NO idea what the future of BT is.

4) nubuntu is a great distro however it uses flux which I gather you don't care for.

5) A real hacker would fix the distro he already has or find another one that suits him better.

6) One of the main points to backtrack is making it a "live" cd which means under 700mb. Good luck getting that done with a big fat bloated
    ubuntu distro while making sure to include all 300+ tools.

7) If you really want to accomplish something build a gentoo machine or better yet try Linux from Scratch.
    1) ...

2) I'm not trying to make ANY money. At all. We've already been through this.

3) Well not no idea, I did here some mention of the future of BackTrack at Shmoocon from Mati Aharoni.

4) Yeah.

5) I never claimed such an illustrious title as hacker. It is my aspiration to become a hacker, but a hacker I'm not. Script-kiddie? You betcha!

6) I'll do my best. Also, with most Linux LiveCDs, I burn it to a DVD anyway, for SPEED

7) Hmm. Maybe someday when I'm much smarter than I am now I will do that. But until that day!!!

Panarchy

EDIT: Barry replied!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Noooooo! Not those god-damn rpm's again! Hahaha... you're thinking I'll decide to build it off OpenSuSE next, eh?

(hope you get my humour)

Panarchy

PS: Mods, please don't close this topic. I am enjoying the debate. And who knows, we all may learn a thing or two from this thread.

Spore, Spawn, OK, I was ranting.

Were you intending to use every tool in backtrack on your distro?
    How can a DVD be faster than a 700mb CD if its loading to ram?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hey, I like Redhat, better than all those lil s'kriddies that want to use Ubuntu for everything.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Polls suck.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

2) I'm not trying to make ANY money. At all. We've already been through this.
    I'm not saying anything about you making money. You've missed the whole point. Your are trying to re-invent the wheel , Call it yours and then use some one else's plans and designs to do it.

I don't care what you do as long as you don't do the following things:
    1) Mention the name backtrack anywhere on your distro, in any file or at the start of any script.

2)Post any mention of a link anywhere on this forum (that includes PMing)

3) Don't expect support from us.

Spore, Spawn, OK, I was ranting.

Were you intending to use every tool in backtrack on your distro?
    How can a DVD be faster than a 700mb CD if its loading to ram?
    Sorry, I'm not sure. Doesn't it unload faster or something?

The reasons I said that it because it was what my linux teacher taught me.

BTW: He's still my linux teacher, as I'm still a student!

I'm not saying anything about you making money. You've missed the whole point. Your are trying to re-invent the wheel , Call it yours and then use some one else's plans and designs to do it.

I don't care what you do as long as you don't do the following things:
    1) Mention the name backtrack anywhere on your distro, in any file or at the start of any script.

2)Post any mention of a link anywhere on this forum (that includes PMing)

3) Don't expect support from us.
    Hang on a second, you're complaining about me calling it mine.

Then 1) is talking about you complaining if I were to say that it's not mine. Same with 2).

3) I don't expect anything. I merely anticipate some sort of reaction, and yes, perhaps even support. But I don't expect it. It isn't some sort of requirement for creating a topic as a free user on a free forum.

Panarchy

Developer

I merely anticipate some sort of reaction, and yes, perhaps even support
    Well you got your reaction all right and as far as I can tell its negative. I'm not going to debate with you. The fact of the matter is this is a forum for backtrack Linux which is a slackware/slax based distro and until that changes you will get no support from me or hopefully anyone else.

If you don't think creating a "backtrack" ubuntu edition is a blatant rip off of other peoples work than you are seriously messed up in the head.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Well you got your reaction all right and as far as I can tell its negative. I'm not going to debate with you. The fact of the matter is this is a forum for backtrack Linux which is a slackware/slax based distro and until that changes you will get no support from me or hopefully anyone else.

If you don't think creating a "backtrack" ubuntu edition is a blatant rip off of other peoples work than you are seriously messed up in the head.
    It doesn't matter, with his extremely limited knowledge, his plans will never come to fruition.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Hey, I like Redhat, better than all those lil s'kriddies that want to use Ubuntu for everything.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Polls suck.
    What's wrong with Ubuntu?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast