View Poll Results: What do you think of my idea for a Ubuntu based BackTrack distro?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea! As soon as you release it I'll download it!

7 53.85%
  • Hmm. BackTrack already has everything I need. Stop changing things!

6 46.15%
  • Indifference is a virtue

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack - Ubuntu Edition - (I am going to create!) - Interested?

Hybrid View

Lightbulb BackTrack - Ubuntu Edition - (I am going to create!) - Interested?

Hi

Found BT3 Final a little annoying. Mainly because flux is the only one that works on my comp.

So I've decided to do something.

That is to put all the programs built into BackTrack 3 onto a debian distribution (ISO). This will be built on Ubuntu 8.10. I will make a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version.

Interested?

Please participate in the poll and give me ideas.

I am going to do this project as a learning activity, thus I'm not in it for profit! (no, I'm not even going to put a link to my website or a donate button!)

Please tell me what you think of my idea.

And participate in the poll!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I don't really want any team members, going for a solo project. Only thing I want is suggestions!

I think flaming Back|Track, here of all places, based on your lack of skill and dedication is appalling. You asked....

Judging from your other posts it appears that you are neither willing nor capable of helping yourself and taking in the loads of information both here and in general, and for that you get absolutely nothing from me besides my want for you to go away.

How the hell do expect anyone to take you seriously when it is blatantly obvious you want nothing short of a matrix-esque upload of information, with no effort put forth on your part at all?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

What's your problem?

I'm not flaming BackTrack.

I just want to make it better.

I have offered my skills (though they are a bit limited at the moment), to 'recreate' BackTrack as a debian (ubuntu) based distribution.

I'm not even trying to fork this project (well not to much anyway).

I'd actually be quite happy if when I finish this project that it will appear on the official BackTrack Download page.

The reason I created this topic was;

a) Interested in the poll results
    b) To be given suggestions and ideas
    c) To find out what the BackTrack community thought of my project

Seems that the only thing I've found from you is c), though even that can't be agreed upon since only ONE PERSON has posted with his/her opinion.

/end-rant

Panarchy

Just burned his ISO

done: nubuntu.org/about.php

currently at 8.10 alpha stage. From the screenshots it seems to use Flux, but you can use your skills to include Gnome :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Panarchy View Post
    I just want to make it better.
    Why do you think it will be better if it becomes an Ubuntu distribution?
    IMHO Back|Track has all it needs to be a good pentesting OS.

I'm not even trying to fork this project (well not to much anyway).

I'd actually be quite happy if when I finish this project that it will appear on the official BackTrack Download page.
    That's another point that you will not achieve, cause the team will not give support on any modified version of Bt.
    There were some guys before you, which asked for that.

c) To find out what the BackTrack community thought of my project
    I will not tell you to not do this project, as you say you will learn much.
    But IMO it is not worth the work and time to do this.

Wait a few days for the poll, and then decide on your own to do it, or not.
    Maybe some other community guys are intressted in your project, but you
    may not make it public on this forum. (I suppose)
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Hi

Found BT3 Final a little annoying. Mainly because flux is the only one that works on my comp.

So I've decided to do something.
    What's that? Learn to fix your problems?

Oh no...............

That is to put all the programs built into BackTrack 3 onto a debian distribution (ISO). This will be built on Ubuntu 8.10. I will make a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version.
    ...........build your "own" BackTrack.
    Well, they do say imitation is the best form of flattery, but here's not the place to do it.
    Go and buy your own servers and bandwidth, etc.

Interested?

Please participate in the poll and give me ideas.

I am going to do this project as a learning activity, thus I'm not in it for profit! (no, I'm not even going to put a link to my website or a donate button!)

Please tell me what you think of my idea.

And participate in the poll!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy
    The tone of your comment suggests that BackTrack is profitable!?
    The servers and huge bandwidth involved costs money.
    BackTrack is used, for free, quite extensively in profitable business and training sectors.
    All voluntary contributions towards providing this free resource are therefore always greatly received as they help, even in a small way, to offset costs. No-one is getting rich out of providing BackTrack!!

PS: I don't really want any team members, going for a solo project. Only thing I want is suggestions!
    I can't say I'm surprised.

Please go and buy your own resources if you wish to offer yet another clone/rebrand of BackTrack.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by altered.colours View Post
    done: nubuntu.org/about.php

currently at 8.10 alpha stage. From the screenshots it seems to use Flux, but you can use your skills to include Gnome :-)
    Hmm... you came across something interesting!

I still wish to learn how to do it... but perhaps I should have a look at that distro first? Also, yes, it would be a nice idea to implement the GNOME enviroment...!

Also, does that offset of ubuntu contain all the features of BackTrack 3?

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Why do you think it will be better if it becomes an Ubuntu distribution?
    IMHO Back|Track has all it needs to be a good pentesting OS.

That's another point that you will not achieve, cause the team will not give support on any modified version of Bt.
    There were some guys before you, which asked for that.

I will not tell you to not do this project, as you say you will learn much.
    But IMO it is not worth the work and time to do this.

Wait a few days for the poll, and then decide on your own to do it, or not.
    Maybe some other community guys are intressted in your project, but you
    may not make it public on this forum. (I suppose)
    Why do I think it would be better as an ubuntu/debian based LiveCD?

Why for a few reasons.

1. I like the interface better
    2. (probably) easier for people to add there own tools (yes, I'll make it open-source... OF COURSE!)
    3. I like debian's apt feature
    4. Good learning experience
    5. Built on a newer kernel (from BackTrack's wiki, I'm pretty sure that this is the case)

The team doesn't support modified versions of BackTrack? Aww...

Yes, well I am interested in the poll (which is why I made it).

If I make enough progress (and have enough time) I'll release a pre-alpha on or before Tuesday. Probably before.

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    What's that? Learn to fix your problems?

Oh no...............
    ...........build your "own" BackTrack.
    Well, they do say imitation is the best form of flattery, but here's not the place to do it.
    Go and buy your own servers and bandwidth, etc.

The tone of your comment suggests that BackTrack is profitable!?
    The servers and huge bandwidth involved costs money.
    BackTrack is used, for free, quite extensively in profitable business and training sectors.
    All voluntary contributions towards providing this free resource are therefore always greatly received as they help, even in a small way, to offset costs. No-one is getting rich out of providing BackTrack!!

I can't say I'm surprised.

Please go and buy your own resources if you wish to offer yet another clone/rebrand of BackTrack.
    Your comment about servers and bandwidth are meaningless to me.

a) My website hosting has no limits on traffic or disk space
    b) For this kind of project I will use some sort of free hosting that will allow for 1 DL per ISO. I would use torrents (and if this gets good it will be made into a torrent anyway) except my DL/UL speeds are terrible! I'm lucky to get a quarter of a MB a second... Download. Did I mention Asymmetric?

Of course I wouldn't except people to get rich from a free linux distro like this. Although, thanks to this Offensive Security was created... and I wish them all the best with it (I might even take the course sometime in the future). But that would probably give them at least enough money to pay off the site and hosting. Probably even give them enough to pay off the man-hours it took to create this distro. If they are lucky/smart enough, they might/are even starting to make a nice profit!

And as I've said many times in this thread, I'm not in it for any gain apart form the experience.

Panarchy

Go for it a spore a whole new generation of pentesters that don't actually know what there doing.
    If you learned to fix your problems you have with X11 and updating the kernel you wouldn't have jump on your soap box and tell us all that this Slackware based distro isn't good enough for you.

Developer

I would just like to make a few statements before I most likely delete this thread.

1) I will not tolerate any sort of backtrack hybrid imitation distro being posted on this site.

2) You are not the first to try this and the members of the development team were very opposed to this type of thing being done. The very least you could do in your egotistical quest to make your "own" distro would be to respect the people that work thousands of hours for free on this thing and receive a minimal amount in donations.

3) you have NO idea what the future of BT is.

4) nubuntu is a great distro however it uses flux which I gather you don't care for.

5) A real hacker would fix the distro he already has or find another one that suits him better.

6) One of the main points to backtrack is making it a "live" cd which means under 700mb. Good luck getting that done with a big fat bloated
    ubuntu distro while making sure to include all 300+ tools.

7) If you really want to accomplish something build a gentoo machine or better yet try Linux from Scratch.

Smile Ubuntu?! Nooooooooo your doing it WRONG!

Having used Helix Live cd's (based on ubuntu 8.04) let me just say i can't thing of anything worse than a Ubuntu based Backtrack.

Helix has a tiny selection of the tools available in backtrack, and yet it is still slow as hell! Startup time for a ubuntu based system is AGES compared to the Slax base used just now.

Also that horrible fake tan orange/brown colour scheme of ubuntu make me want to slash my wrists in eye-pain! Ubuntu is now getting like windows, too much faff and not great on older equipment.

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast