Thread: Access point question

Default Access point question

Is it possable to pose as a known accesspoint so clients attempt to authenticate to you and thus hand over the wep key? If so what is this attack called and where can I read up on how it is done?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Upsman View Post
    Is it possable to pose as a known accesspoint so clients attempt to authenticate to you and thus hand over the wep key? If so what is this attack called and where can I read up on how it is done?
    Why would they hand over their WEP key to you if you don't already know what the WEP key is of the AP they're attempting to connect to? Seems to be rather paradoxical doesn't it?

Plus since WEP is easily cracked in about 2 - 3 minutes, seems like a silly way to go about things.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yes. Yes. No. Evil Twin. Google.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

What I mean is I spooff the AP both ESSID and BSSID then they would attempt to connect to me because they think I am the AP. Then when prompted they enter the wep key like they normally would with the real accesspoint.

The would basically just be handing it over.
    This could be used in cases when you cant collect enough IV's to crack it.

There are already 'tools' out there to do what you want.

http://www.google.com <--- Research.

Or even better try using the 'Search' function here.

What I mean is I spooff the AP both ESSID and BSSID then they would attempt to connect to me because they think I am the AP. Then when prompted they enter the wep key like they normally would with the real accesspoint.

This could be used in cases when you cant collect enough IV's to crack it.
    Understood, What part of my answer didn't you get? Maybe it will help if I speak slowly.

What I mean is I spooff the AP both ESSID and BSSID then they would attempt to connect to me because they think I am the AP.
    Yes, they will connect to the new "twinned" AP.

Then when prompted they enter the wep key like they normally would with the real accesspoint.
    No, because there is no longer any encryption. Once they connect to your unencrypted "twin" AP, they are no longer using any encryption. You would have to have WEP turned on in the first place. Catch 22.

No, they wouldn't. All you have managed to do is to have them connect to an unencrypted AP. Read the above.

You might want to research how the connection and handshaking for encryption works.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.