Thread: AHCI and ACPI (i think) problems

Default AHCI and ACPI (i think) problems

I recently got a new laptop - a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5882 (AMD Turion X2 system), and installed BT3F on the HD as a full install; but i'm having a couple of problems with it. If i leave it running the thing will shut down randomly when i return, and i think it has something to do with overheating. The fan barely runs under BT3 and the laptop gets pretty hot. There's some message during the boot process about having the fan off, and i think this is related. Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen, and how do i fix it?

Secondly during the boot process the following message keeps coming up over and over again, and loading takes about 3-5 minutes depending on how long it takes for the system to resolve this:

ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
    ata3.00: configured for UDMA/100
    ata3: EH complete
    ata3.00: exception Emask 0x40 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x800 action 0x2
    ata3.00: (irq_stat 0x40000001)
    ata3.00: cmd a0/01:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x25 data 8 in
    res 51/20:03:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 Emask 0x40 (internal error)

Then it might pop up another line in the boot process, or repeat this with some of the numbers being a bit different (looks like its trying different addresses or access methods). Any ideas on this one? I've had several crashes and i figure this may also contribute.

If nobody's seen these two issues specifically, i was wondering how i'd go about updating the ACPI and AHCI components of the OS (i think AHCI is an issue as enabling it in my BIOS had something to do with this, the install was ported over from my old system which was also SATA but on a different chipset, i need AHCI enabled for windows to boot).

Thank you

Good friend of the forums

disable all power crap in bios and try the cheat codes !
    acpi=off

http://backtrack.offensive-security....p?title=Cheats

ACPI=off would mean that it has no way to manage battery life, which i guess is do-able (i had to do that with my old laptop if booting without AC plugged in, worked fine if you booted with AC then went to battery though). I'll try these out and report what i found. Thank you.

If anyone hasany ideas regarding how i could upgrade the ACPI components or the system drivers, if be very appreciative, thanks.