Thread: Where to put the dictionary list for WPA cracking?

Just burned his ISO

Default Where to put the dictionary list for WPA cracking?

Hey guys/gals. I'm new to this area of computing so i thought i'd ask rather than fumble around and possibly take forever without knowing what to do. Yes i'm slow when it comes to computing language

Anyhow, my query is based on Xploitz's video tutorial on WPA cracking. I've tried to crack my own router password using his password lists and i've got a problem with locating/pointing the aircrack-ng to my dictionary list.

I used backtrack 3 on usb, and i don't know where to place the dictionary files on the USB stick so that i can type 'aircrack-ng -w dict.txt etc'? Can someone point me to within where in the Boot or BT3 files on the usb i should put the dictionary lists under?

P.S. as i'm new to linux, i don't know what to type to point it to my laptop hard drive

Thank you for the help

then i say you learn the Linux file system. If you have the hard drive mounted it might be under the /mnt/ directory, but have you even crack WEP yet?! Because that is where you should start IMO.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO

Hi Shavx, yes i have successfully cracked a wep key before, and keep in mind that this is just out of curiosity. I viewed Xploitz tutorial, but he didn't mention where to put the dictionary file. So i placed it in the root folder and now it works. Still, i've yet to find out how to access the dictionary file if it's placed in another drive. Btw, i'm unsure as to what you mean by me mounting the hard drive? This is just a plain copy of backtrack 3 beta on a usb, i haven't done any mods to it (lack of knowledge), nor have i done anything else to anything really. I just found out about all this stuff a few days ago and have been reading up on it. Thanks for the help anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by trojan84 View Post
    Hi Shavx, yes i have successfully cracked a wep key before, and keep in mind that this is just out of curiosity. I viewed Xploitz tutorial, but he didn't mention where to put the dictionary file. So i placed it in the root folder and now it works. Still, i've yet to find out how to access the dictionary file if it's placed in another drive. Btw, i'm unsure as to what you mean by me mounting the hard drive? This is just a plain copy of backtrack 3 beta on a usb, i haven't done any mods to it (lack of knowledge), nor have i done anything else to anything really. I just found out about all this stuff a few days ago and have been reading up on it. Thanks for the help anyhow
    You can place the wordlist anywhere you want as long as you use the full destination path instead of merely the filename to specify the dictionary in aircrack-ng. For example use /mnt/hda/wordlists/mywordlist.txt instead of only mywordlist.txt.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

thank you Tron Now i know what i'm doing, hehe

Just burned his ISO

Now we know where to put the list ,but where do we get a really good list for backtrack or does it already have one? Ive found one called open wall but you must buy it i think and i dont know if it is compatable with backtrack.

hxxp://passwordz.info/wordlists/Pureh@te/
    fantastic wordlists